Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking strictly aesthetically what carbon forks look best on a steel frame? If the frame is made from 853 OS tubing and has a 1+1/8" headtube what forks have shapes that lend themselves well to smaller (not super small though) round diameter tubes?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I think the Easton EC90 straight fork would go nicely with your look. I'd probably paint it to match the frame. Some of the Alpha Q's would look good.

Is it a lugged frame or a welded frame? If lugged then you need a lugged fork, IMHO, which kinda rules out carbon.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Waterford recommends Wound Up carbon forks for their steel frames.

I'm considering buying one for my lugged RS-22. The steel crown makes it look somewhat legitimate on a lugged steel frame IMHO.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
I put a NOS Reynolds Ouzo Pro on my LeMonde, 853 TIG'd steel frame. I used the Integrated HS fork and it flowed very nicely into the head tube. I have a CK headset on it as well. The gently curved, non-aero fork blades, look really nice too, not too thick and bulky.

·
Opus was just napping
21,669 Posts
Frith said:
Speaking strictly aesthetically what carbon forks look best on a steel frame? If the frame is made from 853 OS tubing and has a 1+1/8" headtube what forks have shapes that lend themselves well to smaller (not super small though) round diameter tubes?
I have an Alpha Q straight fork on my Carl Strong.

I like the look although my bike doesn't look like many conventional steel bikes...(shaped tubes, sloping top tube.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scooper said:

I'm considering buying one for my lugged RS-22. The steel crown makes it look somewhat legitimate on a lugged steel frame IMHO.

I am also considering one of these for my Gunnar Sport.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I was looking for a lugged carbon fork (figured there had to be one out there) but couldn't find one. Good catch. Only problem is, unless your lugs are polished, I think the polished crown would look odd. I'd probably have the whole thing painted to match the frame. However, if the frame isn't lugged I'd go with a conventional carbon fork (probably painted also).

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Yeah, it's really about the particular aesthetics of the bike. If the bike has a more traditional, lugged look I'd try and stay traditional with the fork. If the frame has a more modern look then a more modern fork is in order. Some look good with a more eclectic mix and match look but you have to have a good eye to pull it off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The frame will be a custom Bob Jackson. It'll be lugged. The fork will be painted to match.

The idea behind the build is that it'll take the best aspects of traditional and modern equipment to build a bike that suits me and my riding style. Finding a balance between weight, comfort, speed and aesthetic.

Steel is a great material... my favorite in fact. but lets not not kid ourselves. It's not diamond dust.... it's just a material. I understand the benefits of a steel fork over a carbon one and vice versa but I don't subscribe to the holy mantra of "steel is real". It's has it's place and in this instance that place is in my frame but not in my fork! :)

Thanks for the replies so far... lots to look at.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Being a Bob Jackson I'd have to go with a steel fork with a suitable filigreed, lugged crown. I understand but it's a Jackson. Like you said, it's not diamond dust and neither is a carbon fork (although they're both carbon). Maybe the crowned Woundup but it's still not the same. This bike is shouting for a lugged steel fork. Will the frame have any chrome? If so, a chromed steel fork.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
My DeBernardi came with a cheap carbon easton EC-30. it's skinny enough that it would almost pass if it were painted. That said, I'm looking for a proper steel fork to replace it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Scooper said:

Agreed. A painted Wound-Up fork is the only fork I would consider for a small diameter tube steel frame.

But I have seen some other forks that fit nicely with fatter steel tubes, like this Hampsten ride.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Almost any carbon fork will look aesthetically pleasin on a steel bike IF IT'S PAINTED, DAMMIT! Do not commit the fashion crime of the century and leave a carbon fork unpainted. You score extra fashion points if the fork is painted and then original decals reapplied. Bonus extra points if the fork is painted in in a complementary color matching the decals or accents.

Style is more important than fit! ;-)

·
Banned
952 Posts
I vote none. I'm in the process of finding a local painter to paint the Reynolds fork on my Pegoretti because it disturbs me...If I had it to do all over I would have had him make me a steel fork for the extra 300 bucks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
an example

Here's fellow RBR member, Dereck's BJ with carbon fork. Not sure what type of fork it is. .. Mine will be the same 853 oversized tubing and I don't think the fork looks bad at all with that tubing in fact a steel crowned fork might look a bit out of place.

That wound up fork Scooper posted has really got me thinking though... I may opt for chromed chain stay(s) so the polished crown might fit well especially coupled with a silver chris king headset... hmmmm

If it makes any difference at all the frame will be painted a simple two coloured panel scheme The lugs will be the same colour as the rest of the frame with no outlining. It'll be dressed in alloy centaur with silver polished parts wherever possible.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Will it have chrome stays like the picture? If so, I stick to my guns and recommend a chromed steel fork. I agree, this Jackson with a painted carbon fork looks good. However, it would look better with a chromed steel fork. Just my opinion and, like a$$holes, we all got one.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have never liked the look of wound up forks.
On any bike at any time.

I too am considering putting a carbon fork on a semi classic. Tig welded, late '90-'00 frame. Why not, it will have other carbon bits too.

If you do it, paint to match is required. I am also considering having my frame repainted.
If I do, then I will have the matching steel fork painted at the same time just in case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts