Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what the majority of you guys are running shimano cassete/chain
i read a lot of bad things about sram cassette and chain.. (noisy?)
and hear that sram runs alot smoother with shimano cassette/chain?

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Persisted with my SRAM Red cassette for several months before changing out to DA.
Noise reduced to almost nil.
My SRAM red chain is due for replacement and DA will get the nod again.
I did not have these problems with my previous Rival drivetrain though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
SRAM cassete lets you know by sound that it shifts. I think it has to do with that missing line of teeth. Reminds me a bit of campy. I wouldn't say that hearing your rear drivetrain make a little barking while shifting is bad.

It decreased whem I put on the KMC X10 or whatever the hell it is called vs PC-1090 chain. (1070 cassette)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i'm running a red 11-26 and the 1090r chain. it's noiser than the d/a or ultegra cassettes i used before. the shimano chains are prob the quietest, but i like that the sram chains last longer, so i'll deal w/ some noise. sometimes tweaking the hanger the tiniest bit can make a big difference, so check to make sure it's properly aligned.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I've also got a SRAM 1090r chain w/an 11-26 cassette. I will probably go with an ultegra chain next time just because I got a few of them really cheap from PBK. I don't really notice much noise other than the cassette echo on upshifts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have never had a noise problem with my SRAM force set up, which I think shares the same chain/cassette with rival. Dialed in perfectly by my bike shop though. Quieter than my Campy Veloce, which has a constant, not loud, but always persistent high pitched whirr. I've always heard the noise was a complaint, but never had it myself. And yes, I've ridden both ultegra and durace for comparison too.

Install your Force set up, work on getting it properly adjusted either by an experienced SRAM mechanic or on your own, and ride on it loaded (don't just spin it on a stand), and see if it's too loud. You maybe tempted to not install it and sell the parts new, but really, give it a chance, I never had a problem with mine.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I use an Ultegra cassette with a Dura Ace chain, cheap from PBK, with SRAM set-up. No probs at all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ultegra cass and chain

i was recently sent a couple 'redesigned' Red cassettes and 1090R chains for customers and was told that they had received some tweaking. Much quieter. Surprisingly quiet.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
I'm running Campy, but I always run Ultegra chains - always. They're quieter and cheaper - maybe more durable, I don't know - than anything else I've ever tried. I also can't see (or hear) any difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace chains.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Applesauce said:
I'm running Campy, but I always run Ultegra chains - always. They're quieter and cheaper - maybe more durable, I don't know - than anything else I've ever tried. I also can't see (or hear) any difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace chains.
Shimano chain more durable than Camagnolo? No way :)
If there is one Shimano part I'm not satisfied with, it must be the chain :rolleyes:
On my 9sp Shimano setup, SRAM is the choice for chain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My SRAM 1070 chain last for less than 2000 km. I changed it for a Dura Ace 7900...night and day, it quieter, and I hope, will last longer.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Applesauce said:
they might be quieter when new, most likely because they seem 'looser' in the bushings when new than campy chains. on a park chain checker, campy chains are tight when new, the shimano chains sometimes show more than .25. my experience is that campy and sram chains (both made in the same factory) outlast shimano chains by a big margin.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
tight...

cxwrench said:
they might be quieter when new, most likely because they seem 'looser' in the bushings when new than campy chains. on a park chain checker, campy chains are tight when new, the shimano chains sometimes show more than .25. my experience is that campy and sram chains (both made in the same factory) outlast shimano chains by a big margin.
The reason the Campy chains check differently on a Park chain checker is simply due to differences in the roller diameter and clearance between the roller and the "shaft" that is rotates around. KMC will check similarly. The pitch of the chains will not actually be any different, when new. This initial difference in clearance should not affect the chain life.

I always advise against using a Park chain checker, because of this "phantom" wear that most people fail to subtract fron future readings. On top of that, the park tool adds roller wear to elongation, further increasing the error in the measurement. Always use a scale to measure elongation.

All that said, I found that Shimano chains may elongate four times faster than a Campy chain. I;ve used a Campy chain for 6,000 miles and measured about 1/4 of the allowable 1/16" per foot elongation. Unfortunately, the rollers still wear out and the side clearance has nearly doubled with that mileage. With really good care, I might get as much as 4,000 from a DA chain. The cheap KMC DX10SC will wear a little better than that.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
C-40 said:
All that said, I found that Shimano chians may elongate four times faster than a Campy chain.
I owned up to not knowing, objectively or otherwise, how Shimano stacked up in durability. But when I said they were cheaper, I meant it: I pay OEM for Shimano chains, and an Ultegra chain is less than a quarter of the price of Campy, and is actually less than many good six-packs. Is it a wasteful attitude? Yes, somewhat. But chains I wear out, as it were, on my good bike, always put in at least a second or a third round on a singlespeed mountain bike or commuter. Would that relative wastefulness be offset by the wastefulness incurred by paying an arm and a leg, relatively speaking, for something I can't possibly conceive of as being superior? No, not at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts