Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old, circa 1987, Raleigh Tri-lite bike. It came with Shimano 105 components. I am getting back into riding, and do not want to spend money on a new bike until I am certain that I will stick with it.

My question, this bike has biopace chainrings. I want to get rid of these. What chainrings can I use? It is a 12 speed, so I am not certain if new chainrings will be narrower than my current biopace rings.

Ideally, I would just like to buy the chainrings. See if I stick to it for 3-4 months, then look for a new frame.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
ottoreni said:
I have an old, circa 1987, Raleigh Tri-lite bike. It came with Shimano 105 components. I am getting back into riding, and do not want to spend money on a new bike until I am certain that I will stick with it.

My question, this bike has biopace chainrings. I want to get rid of these. What chainrings can I use? It is a 12 speed, so I am not certain if new chainrings will be narrower than my current biopace rings.

Ideally, I would just like to buy the chainrings. See if I stick to it for 3-4 months, then look for a new frame.
Salsa makes some nice replacement rings at a nice price. They have non ramped versions that are advertised as 6,7,8 speed compatible. Excelsports is where I bought mine.

·
Registered
704 Posts
ottoreni said:

Ditto on the Salsa. Right now, I have a 38T Salsa inner on my double, cost me all of $22.00. My outer is a 50T TA ($50.00 from Branford Bikes) that combo gives me as good shifting as with my original Shimano rings - with a pair of Salsa rings, the worst you'd probably get is a slightly slower change between rings.

If you don't want to spend a lot, Salsa should do you, any bike shop with a Quality Bike Products (QBP) catalogue and some interest should be able to order them for you.

If you have any doubts about what to run with your six speed rear end, try Harris Cyclery - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html They have a lot of knowledge of, and bits for, older bikes.

Hope that helps

Dereck

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
ottoreni said:

I would assume that 105 would have a 130mm Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). You can check to be sure here using the distance between two adjacent bolts.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html

Then, how many teeth are you looking for? Is it the older standard of 42/52?

Most anything the correct size will work with your application. Newer/thinner rings will be fine. Ebay has tons of choices.

Lastly, I have Biopace rings on an old Paramount with full DA and I cannot tell the difference. Just ride them.

TF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts