Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday is a given... well, unless it rains or something else trumps my ability to ride. For the purpose of discussion, Saturday is the "long hard" ride - 55-85 miles, pretty much coming home with nothing left in the legs - regardless of race or just club ride.

Sunday - nothing or easy spin

Monday - nothing

Tuesday - club "fast ride" - 26 miles

Wednesday - club easy to moderate - 20 miles

Thursday - club "fast ride" - 26 miles

Friday - club very easy - 20 miles

Just because the club schedule is set with three fast/hard days, doesn't mean I have to play. But... it's hard not to. I end up with three hard days per week. Going on a limb here - that's one day too many.

So, assuming Saturday is a constant, which of the weekday rides should be the other hard day? If your answer is "Wednesday", let me know what you think regarding Tuesday vs. Thursday.

Often on Tuesday, I feel like I'm not 100% recovered from Saturday. Then on Thursday, I feel like I should leave a little for Saturday.

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
Three fast/hard days is tough. I could do Tues,Wed,Thurs but thankfully the Tues & Thurs rides aren't as local so it makes it easier to say no.

My schedule, weather permitting

Saturday - long hard ride 50-80

Sunday - nothing or easy spin with the Mrs.

Monday - club ride. Usually moderate/recovery from the weekend but will sometimes devolve into a hammerfest depending who shows.

Tuesday - nothing

Wednesday - Club fast ride. 30-40mi

Thursday - Nothing

Friday - Nothing​

That gives me every other day off. And 2 days before the big Saturday ride. Seems to be the best balance for me.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
So, assuming Saturday is a constant, which of the weekday rides should be the other hard day? If your answer is "Wednesday", let me know what you think regarding Tuesday vs. Thursday.

Often on Tuesday, I feel like I'm not 100% recovered from Saturday. Then on Thursday, I feel like I should leave a little for Saturday.
Tuesday. You most likely need 2 days of recovery after a hard day, so a hard day on Thursday doesn't work. Ideally, your other hard day would be Wednesday since Saturday is both long and hard and an extra day of recovery would be helpful. Also consider doing an easy spin on Monday to keep your circulation going and help with recovery. That might make Tuesday feel a little better. Most would say that active recovery is better than "nothing."

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'll do 4-5 hard days (generally includes a Wed crit, and Sat/Sun races) in race season on low volume weeks.

On non race weeks, I'll generally have more volume (up to double the hours) with 1-2 hard workouts.

Just depends. Generally, though, the less hours I do, the more frequent and harder the rides. ~7 hours = 4-5 hard rides, 12+ hours = 1-2 hard rides.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Saturday is a given... well, unless it rains or something else trumps my ability to ride. For the purpose of discussion, Saturday is the "long hard" ride - 55-85 miles, pretty much coming home with nothing left in the legs - regardless of race or just club ride.

Sunday - nothing or easy spin

Monday - nothing

Tuesday - club "fast ride" - 26 miles

Wednesday - club easy to moderate - 20 miles

Thursday - club "fast ride" - 26 miles

Friday - club very easy - 20 miles

Just because the club schedule is set with three fast/hard days, doesn't mean I have to play. But... it's hard not to. I end up with three hard days per week. Going on a limb here - that's one day too many.

3 hard days isn't too much given the volume isn't off the charts. You may be having a hard time recovering from Saturday because it's your only ride over 25 miles. I'd add a long enduracy day on Wed if that's possible to add to your endurance capacity (which is getting taxed on Sat).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Agree with the responses. I'd do another longer ride day in your position if you have the time.

I pretty much do two shorter interval sessions per week and one 2.5 hour plus day per week. If I'm doing more volume, which for me is 10+ hours/week, my easy days will be easier. I don't do a lot of group rides because they're not a workout, but they're not easy days either. Obviously I use a polarized training method.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Your profile says you've been riding since '72 so i'm guessing you are getting up there in years. I'm 58 and find that more than 2 hard days a week is difficult. About the best I can do is 3-4 hour group ride on Sat, 90 - 120 min at Z2 pace on Sunday. Monday is about 1 hour in the gym(not much legs), Tuesday thru Thursday is about 90- 105 min minutes with 1 day for intervals, another day for some tempo work and 1 day for small gear spin-ups and pedal drills, Friday is off. 3 weeks of that schedule and I need an easy week. Recovery is much harder now than even 10 years ago and if my work week is difficult , it is hard to do much more than Z2 rides during the week.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Definitely when you get older, 3 hard days per week is pushing it...unless you're taking performance enhancing drugs. I'm 49 and 2 hard days per week work the best for me. I'd suggest going hard on Tuesday and Saturday while using Thursday as a easy tempo ride while trying to keep the power spikes to a minimum.

I also agree with Kerry Irons. You should consider doing an easy, short spin on Monday to wake the legs up and get the circulation going so you will be ready to hit it hard on your Tuesday club ride.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys - I'm going to play with the schedule based on this input. Adding Monday is easy. Backing off a bit Thursday will be harder... damn I hate letting guys get away ;-) But, I'll do it.

The "riding since '72" could be misleading - I'm 48, and like a lot of you, once I unbolted the training wheels, I haven't stopped pedaling.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I'd suggest a different approach altogether. Don't worry so much about assigning certain rides to certain days of the week. Our bodies don't understand what week is.

Between rain and life, things change week to week. If, for example, you happen to feel great on a scheduled easy day and have a wedding to go to on your hard Saturday why no go for it on the easy day? And by the same token if your body is telling you you need some rest on a hard day you should probably listen to your body not some arbitrary schedule.
Rain out on Saturday? To me it would make sense to go hard Sunday then adjust accordingly in days that follow.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Backing off a bit Thursday will be harder... damn I hate letting guys get away ;-) But, I'll do it.
I'm not sure how many are in your group ride, but I've found that it is feasible to do an "easier" ride in a large group. If you are calling it a hard day, you go to the front (or off the front). Conversely, on the easy day, you stay well hidden in the pack. The issue with an easier day in the pack is fighting the temptation to go to the front. Most can't do it, and ultimately they have to ride solo on easy days. I've experimented to see how easy I can go in one of our group rides. I was surprised by the difference in power I could achieve on easy versus hard days.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not sure how many are in your group ride, but I've found that it is feasible to do an "easier" ride in a large group. If you are calling it a hard day, you go to the front (or off the front). Conversely, on the easy day, you stay well hidden in the pack. The issue with an easier day in the pack is fighting the temptation to go to the front. Most can't do it, and ultimately they have to ride solo on easy days. I've experimented to see how easy I can go in one of our group rides. I was surprised by the difference in power I could achieve on easy versus hard days.
If you take this approach of sitting in and not pulling on the training "group" ride so you can make it an easy day, please don't be a jerk and go for the sprint at the end of the group ride. If it's a real race then it's ok, but not on a training ride. Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you take this approach of sitting in and not pulling on the training "group" ride so you can make it an easy day, please don't be a jerk and go for the sprint at the end of the group ride. If it's a real race then it's ok, but not on a training ride. Just my thoughts....
I used to be annoyed by guys doing this sort of things. But then, I thought, hey this is not a race and some of them are honestly just out having some fun, and I shouldn't have such a pissy attitude; after all, I have not won nor lost anything whether they sprint or not. It's all fun for me. My only issue is when an occasional guy who sprint in a dangerous way, like pulling out from behind and sprinting too close to other riders. On 2 occassions, I had some guys buzzed when they got out of the saddle. I got pissed really fast. But they immediately apologized and I reminded them not to endanger other members in a group ride, and they all agreed. All was good at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If I'm doing an easy day, why would I sprint?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I used to be annoyed by guys doing this sort of things. But then, I thought, hey this is not a race and some of them are honestly just out having some fun, and I shouldn't have such a pissy attitude; after all, I have not won nor lost anything whether they sprint or not. It's all fun for me. My only issue is when an occasional guy who sprint in a dangerous way, like pulling out from behind and sprinting too close to other riders. On 2 occassions, I had some guys buzzed when they got out of the saddle. I got pissed really fast. But they immediately apologized and I reminded them not to endanger other members in a group ride, and they all agreed. All was good at the end of the day.

This is my general approach to group rides. If a guy sits in and goes for the sprint, I don't really care. If I want to sprint for the town sign, I will position myself so that I'm not pulling most of the way to the sign. I will pull early and then tuck back in. If I am beat by a guy that sat in the whole time, I'm not upset.

I understand that some people take this more seriously than I do, so I try to respect the unwritten rules, but I don't mind if others break them. It is really a waste of energy to try and police others.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
LOL, what?

It's a training ride so it means absolutely nothing. If you think it does, perhaps you're the one that shouldn't be doing the sprints? It's guys that think that stuff matters that inevitably make stupid risks and decisions...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts