Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would also be pre-cellphone so no texting either.

I can recall making crude graphics in Word Perfect for DOS and learning some arcane database software and messing with Lotus 1,2,3 because it was more interesting than my real job at the time. Making Paper clip animals and shooting staples at the wall was another biggie. Later on I brought in a radio and listened to talk radio nonstop all day long. Anyone else have some stories on how they wasted time in the dark ages?

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Office romance and gossip. I worked. Had 1 job where I read, any and every book I could get my hands on, none were work related.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Watch the boss get hammered on scotch and start throwing wadded up blueprints at everybody.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Talked too much to people I didn't like.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I read Time magazine. When that place got so slow that I could finish an entire issue in about two days, it was time to move on.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
kykr13 said:
I read Time magazine. When that place got so slow that I could finish an entire issue in about two days, it was time to move on.
It took you two days?! You were workin' too much.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I used to read books that were vaguely related to the industry. The company had a good library and I was a young junior type so I could claim to be learning the bidness. Till one day my mentor took me aside and said it's not cool, you should be working... at that point I realized I was better suited for a different job.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
When I worked at DEC in the pre-internet days, we had DECNotes, a sort of internal internet with forums just like this one. Everything from Politics to Bikes to Birdwatching to Sex. It was in many ways even a better waste of time because you could find out lots of interesting things about the person in the next cube, particularly if they were participating in the Fetish Forum. You see, there were no sock puppet names, it was your corporate USERID.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Back in the early 1990s, a few of us would play a networked flying game called F-16 Falcon. We would fly against each other, but only guns were allowed. One day my boss got upset and had the network guy kill my node, locking up my machine.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
firstrax said:
Solitaire.
Pre Windows? Can't recall...did DOS have any built in games? I don't think so.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mohair_chair said:
Back in the early 1990s, a few of us would play a networked flying game called F-16 Falcon. We would fly against each other, but only guns were allowed. One day my boss got upset and had the network guy kill my node, locking up my machine.
We used to play Quake over lunch when that came out.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I was in college, and just starting to work when the net exploded, so I guess the things we did were:

throw pencils into the ceiling
draw funny cartoon messages on the dry erase board
gameboy
poker/gamble
sleep
sex

not in that order

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
firstrax said:
You said pre-internet.
True...though once Windows came into being it was preloaded with at least a few dull games that could pass the time.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Tried desparately to convince my boss that it really was faster in every possible metric for me to create (via typing) financial reports in Lotus, rather than writing them on giant ledger paper, walking them down to word processing, waiting for them to finish them, pick them up, correct all of the typos, and repeat when someone decided another entry needed to be made for the close.

Didn't work.

Spent the next six months teaching myself Lotus Symphony's macro language, and buying the guy in programming enough beers on Friday nights so that he'd ship a csv copy of our ledger reports on a floppy via interoffice mail.

Spent the next six months sucking up to my new boss.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jsedlak said:
It still is... I think XP Solitaire is the same one from 3.1...
I see our IT Nazis went to the trouble of not including those in our build. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.