Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What NEEDS to be changed to make this switch? I am currently running a Full Ultegra Group on my Pinarello F3, and i am considering switching to Campy Chorus 10 speed.

Can i get away with switching the Shifters, and derailleurs, or do i need to go as far switching out my cassette, crank, chain, wheels, etc... or can those be done later on down the road?

·
Registered
481 Posts
At the very least the entire drivetrain should be changed at the same time although the front derailleur might be usable. There are cassettes that let you use Shimano wheels w/ Campy. Brakes can be changed later.

There are usually good end of season sales on Campy. With the coming of next years 11 speed gruppos, this should be a very good year for sales.

G

·
jut8 said:
What NEEDS to be changed to make this switch? I am currently running a Full Ultegra Group on my Pinarello F3, and i am considering switching to Campy Chorus 10 speed.

Can i get away with switching the Shifters, and derailleurs, or do i need to go as far switching out my cassette, crank, chain, wheels, etc... or can those be done later on down the road?
Yes you can do just the Shifters and Derailleurs, you can do just the shifters if you wish.

Up to you how you do this and how much you spend up front.

Go the web page for Jtek Engineering ( they make the Jtek Shiftmate), you can make the switch in all sorts of ways - full on or a bit at a time.

The conversion cassettes that were mentioned also work very well, I use the American Classic ones, Campy spacing on Shimano wheels. They work as well as a Campy cassette.

The Shiftmate works very well, I use 3 of them in different situations, and the shifting is precise on all of them. No degradtion at all.

I paid $35 for a Jtek last time I bought one.

So theoretically you could change the shifters, leave everything else alone and put a shiftmate on.

Keep using the Ultegra derailleurs until you feel better about spending the money, then you could change the derailleurs, and at this point you may have to either put on a conversion cassette, or possibly change the pulley on the shiftmate ( a very low dollar alternative).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I was a long-time Campy fan, and recently switched a newer bike that came with Shimano to SRAM. Lots of the same pros & cons as Campy (which means I like it lots better than Shimano) and an easier switch on existing Shimano bikes. Just switch the rear derailleur and shifters. Everything else is 100% compatible... no cheesy jtek required.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
wrong....

MarvinK said:
I was a long-time Campy fan, and recently switched a newer bike that came with Shimano to SRAM. Lots of the same pros & cons as Campy (which means I like it lots better than Shimano) and an easier switch on existing Shimano bikes. Just switch the rear derailleur and shifters. Everything else is 100% compatible... no cheesy jtek required.

The cassette spacing is not the same (3.95mm for Shimano, 4.12mm for Campy). Changing just the shifters and RD will not produce very good shifting. Either a J-tek shiftmate should be used to correct the RD travel, or a conversion cassette used to provide the correct cog spacing.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes, I was saying you could try SRAM instead of Campy--since they have a lot of the same benefits--and avoid the cheesy jtek adapter. You'd just need SRAM RD and Shifters... SRAM is 100% compatible with Shimano spacing.

Or you could do a mix of Campy and SRAM, if you really hate the idea of a jtek adapter and don't want to replace your wheels:
http://www.velonews.com/article/73404

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.