Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a preferably free online storage place to keep pics, vids, docs music etc and be able to access them from any computer.

Anyone use anything like this?

Thanks,
Rob
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,505 Posts
I keep my photos in Photobucket.

My files? To be honest, gmail. I don't have nearly enough space to warrant an actual storage system, and Gmail has 7.5GB of storage.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Mobileme for storage, web & synching all of our computers contact & calendar data.

Carbonite for online backup..
 

·
Fly on a windshield
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
VaughnA said:
Mobileme for storage, web & synching all of our computers contact & calendar data.

Carbonite for online backup..
If you use MobileMe then chances are that you are a Mac user. If so, why pay for another service for backups? Won't "Time Machine" do the trick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mobile me

Seems to be more of a email,calendar,contacts syncer. I do see the option for iDisk but I'll have to do more research.

I do not like carbonite since it needs software to be running on the PC.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
MG537 said:
If you use MobileMe then chances are that you are a Mac user. If so, why pay for another service for backups? Won't "Time Machine" do the trick?
Time machine is local and I do use it. But I know of a photographer who lost years of work in a house fire. 50 bucks a year for Carbonite is worth it for peace of mind.
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
MG537 said:
If you use MobileMe then chances are that you are a Mac user. If so, why pay for another service for backups? Won't "Time Machine" do the trick?
I don't use the iDisk on MobileMe for backups. I only pay for 20GB of storage, which is plenty for what I do but not nearly enough for backups.

Mostly its for files that I want to be able to access anywhere (e.g., pic of my passport) or that I need to transfer between my work/home computer but I don't have a flash drive handy. I also use it when I need to share a big file, such as a manuscript with quite a few memory-hogging images, that might be difficult to send via e-mail.

I do use a Time Capsule to back up a few computers at work, which saved my booty when one was stolen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm looking for more of a personal FTP site to store a bunch of files. No syncing or auto backup needed
 

·
donuts?
Joined
·
8,945 Posts
i have broadband connection at home - i setup a server and using dnydns.org i have my IP set to a domain name. i also have a desktop setup so i can remote into it via RDP and add files from the 'secure' server to the webserver if i need to put up a file from the archive.

i simply don't trust others to keep my data.



https://asciibaron.dyndns.org/images/Klein_QP_small.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
asciibaron said:
i have broadband connection at home - i setup a server and using dnydns.org i have my IP set to a domain name. i also have a desktop setup so i can remote into it via RDP and add files from the 'secure' server to the webserver if i need to put up a file from the archive.

i simply don't trust others to keep my data.



https://asciibaron.dyndns.org/images/Klein_QP_small.jpg
This is what I am looking for. Thanks! Do you use the free version?
 

·
What the what???
Joined
·
12,702 Posts
I like Dropbox. It's free and easy to access at home, work and on my iPod Touch.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top