Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am curious what will my LBS will do to get my properly fit on a bike.

Ok I am buying a Road Bicycle but I dont know my size so I have to get fitted.

Now, they head to fit me. What do they do next? Just pop out the measuring tape, bam, they know your size? Or do you have to like hop on a Road Bicycle in their garage or sometihng and have yourself ride a bicycle to see whatever while hooked up on a computer?

Sheesh im stupid.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I good fitting can take one to two hours and take into consideration a lot of things. This includes measuring your body proportions, flexibility, range of motion on the bike, seating, shimming your shoes if one leg is longer than the other. All these things add up to a bigger picture as to what you may need to get the bike fitted for you, stem length and angle, seat height, seat position, saddle itself, handlebar size, crank length. A good fitting is a great tool to get the most comfort and perfomance out of your bike. IF you are not comfortable you will not continue to ride.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I vaguely remember being transported up to the alien ship and then something
about anal probes...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
jupiterrn said:
I good fitting can take one to two hours and take into consideration a lot of things. This includes measuring your body proportions, flexibility, range of motion on the bike, seating, shimming your shoes if one leg is longer than the other. All these things add up to a bigger picture as to what you may need to get the bike fitted for you, stem length and angle, seat height, seat position, saddle itself, handlebar size, crank length. A good fitting is a great tool to get the most comfort and perfomance out of your bike. IF you are not comfortable you will not continue to ride.
Totally agree. However, most shops will probably do more of a "quick fit" unless you specifically ask to be fitted as described above. A fitting like the one above typically has a dollar figure attached. Often about $100 an hour.

With a quick fit, they make take some basic measurements and grab a bike and put you on it and eye-ball it from there. It is going to be your responsibility to say "this feels good, this doesn't" in either case.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Just keep in mind that an expensive fitting by a so-called professional fitter is always an above-average money maker for the shop. They'll collect the fitting fee for sure and might sell a bunch of "better-fitting" or "better-quality" components on top of that. Most people get their money's worth in terms of comfort and speed, but not all.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
At most shops, you're much more likely to get a quick fit as Krisdrum indicated. Some stores offer some kind of free "bodyscan" that provides a handful of measurements that theoretically should help determine the "right" size. Others will do nothing more than have you stand over the bike and ride it around the parking lot for a few minutes. In my opinion, it pays to do some research on your own before ever walking into a shop so that you have some idea of what to look for and ask with respect to fit. If you get a vibe that they're glossing over it, shop elsewhere.

I bought my bike at a shop that offered the bodyscan and ended with a bike that does, in fact, fit me. To dial in the fit, however, I went to a different shop and paid for a professional fitting (my original LBS didn't offer that service). That fitting was much more comprehensive and the price I paid covers the life of the bike. I made some changes recently that affected my fit and the fitter spent another few hours with me (bless him) to dial me in again. It was money well spent and I'd recommend it if you have a good fitter in your area and plan to spend a lot of time riding.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One of the most important things about a proper fitting, is getting the correct seat for your body type. That normally means they need to measure your unit- so don't be surprised when they ask you to drop your pants, its just part of the job. If they don't bring it up, you might have to ask, but this is the most critical part of the fitting (as you can imagine!)

Just giving a you a fair warning- this takes some newbs by surprise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kestreljr said:
One of the most important things about a proper fitting, is getting the correct seat for your body type. That normally means they need to measure your unit- so don't be surprised when they ask you to drop your pants, its just part of the job. If they don't bring it up, you might have to ask, but this is the most critical part of the fitting (as you can imagine!)

Just giving a you a fair warning- this takes some newbs by surprise.
a quick fit is known as "cupping"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.