Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was commuting on my rusty old beach cruiser, but I broke it.. So that left me with nothing but my nice road bike (Cervelo R3) to ride to work.. Now I keep the bike in my cubicle w/ me.. Does anyone else ride a nice bike to work?? Seems like everyone I know rides some old junker..

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I have three bikes: a nice roadie, nice fixie, and nice 29er. I normally ride the fixie on my 15-mile each way commute, but I mix it up. Of course, I have a nice place to leave my bike so I might as well ride a nice one.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I only bought a dedicated commuter this past november. Before that, (and actually this week, due to a shreaded tire and waiting for a replacement) I'm riding my good geared roadie (Klein). It gets locked up in the parking garage of my building (private, and in a suburban area). I also had to ride it twice a few weeks back when I broke a spoke on my commuter. It's kinda nice because the geared roadie is faster, although the ride is a good bit rougher on 23s with 100+ lbs of air.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
During the summer I ride my good road bike to/from work - 35 miles one way
During the winter I ride my CX bike to/from work

I'm debating going singlespeed for this winter, but haven't convinced myself yet

My company has bike rooms with bike racks and pumps inside the building adjacent to every entrance. pretty sweet

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Litespeed Siena now road a bianchi CX bike before. Much prefer the racy bike to the heavy CX bike for commuting but my commute is all roads.

I keep it inside at work and never stop on the way home for groceries or anything.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ride a pretty nice SS MTB. Somebody GAVE me a nice, vintage geared Trek MTB, which I'm gonna fix up as a commuter. Would rather lock that up, than something I've got a lot of money in.. But the old Trek 970 is in pretty pristine condition...lugged steel, 1" threaded, friction shifters. Gonna give it the Brooks/rack/bags/fenders/kickstand treatment. Why the hell not?

1,130 Posts
Road bike summer, MTB winter

I ride my road bike -- a circa 2000 LeMond Zurich -- in the spring, summer and fall, but once I start losing daylight I switch to my Cannondale MTB.

The Cannondale has slicks, not trail tires. Why the switch?

I don't want to pollute the clean look of my road bike with blinkies and lights!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I3erto said:
I was commuting on my rusty old beach cruiser, but I broke it.. So that left me with nothing but my nice road bike (Cervelo R3) to ride to work.. Now I keep the bike in my cubicle w/ me.. Does anyone else ride a nice bike to work?? Seems like everyone I know rides some old junker..

I used to ride my Trek 5200 to work. About four years ago, I bought a Lemond Poprad for commuting. It has served me well. I also have a Gunnar Street Dog (fixed) that I ride occasionally to work. Whenever I ride to work, my bike stays in the file room next to my office.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I keep my commuter in my office. My philosophy about commuter bikes may be different from others. I get 80+% of my mileage from commuting. If I commute everyday, I get 212 miles and around 14 hours on the bike. I ride a Gunnar Crosshairs with Campy Chorus, rack and fenders, and a NR HID with universal tail light. I have three sets of commuting wheels and the weather determines which set I use. For now, I am using a set of Specialized Roval Classique Paves with Conti Gatorskin ultras which work well in the recent rain and wind. I have a set of wheels with Centaur hubs and Salsa rims for foul weather with some 28mm armadillos. My commuting land speed record wheelset is Phil Wood hubs with velocity deep V and supercomp spokes.

I don't scrimp on the commuter. If the tires get too many cuts, they get replaced even if they have lots of tread left. I replace the chain every two months and the cassette once a year. I can find other ways to save money, but the commuter has to get me to work each day.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
bigbill said:
My philosophy about commuter bikes may be different from others. I get 80+% of my mileage from commuting.
That pretty much sums up how I feel. What's the point of having a nice bike if you don't ride it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OverStuffed said:
I have a cross bike built up with good stuff that I don't mind locking up. Ultegra 9s group, open pro wheels, etc. Nothing I have to baby, but still nice to ride.
Same here, more or less. A Soma Double Cross set up with a lightweight rack that gets removed when cyclocross season arrives. The Nashbar Daytrekker bags are the bomb for summer commutes. I also have a full fendered touring bike when the Soma is set up for cyclocross.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kona Jake with Mavic Aksiums and Tektro CR720 brakes. This was my only bike for close to 2 years but I just got a Van Dessel Hole Shot that is now my sunny day/weekend ride. The Jake has fenders and lights mounted at all times and is locked up (but not abused) in a fairly safe place during the day.

I too put most of my miles in while commuting, and once I feel the original Sora (3x8) drivetrain components are cooked, I'm going to upgrade to a 2x10, 105 FD, Ultegra RD, with Dura Ace downtube shifters mounted to Kelly Takeoffs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Pablo said:
That pretty much sums up how I feel. What's the point of having a nice bike if you don't ride it?
That pretty much sums up how I feel. Being able to bring my bike inside at work and living rural is a beautiful thing. I ride whichever bike looks good to me for that day's conditions when I walk out to the shed...

singlecross

·
Registered
372 Posts
2006 Trek Cyclocross X1. I use a cable lock on a handicap sign since my office is pretty isolated and I doubt my coworkers would steal it (400 in the office). My commute is mainly roads, but 4 miles are on a crushed limestone trail. In addition, some of the roads I commute on would shred my tires on my road bike.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I commute on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.