Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What do you do?

• Pull over immediately and help the cyclist. (call 911)

Votes: 68 55.3%
  • Chase the guys on the motorcycle and get the tags. (call 911)

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Keep driving. (call 911)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other, explain.

Votes: 4 3.3%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You're driving home from work on a medium traffic, two lane road w/nice bike friendly shoulders. In front of you are two guys on a motorcycle goofing off. Up ahead, you spot a cyclist getting in a late afternoon training ride. He's in the shoulder, no big deal. As the guys on the motorcycle get close to the guy on the bike they swerve over and the guy on the back knock the cyclist over making him crash, hard.

You see the whole thing. What do you do?

EDIT: This is a hypothetical situation.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
KenB said:
You're driving home from work on a medium traffic, two lane road w/nice bike friendly shoulders. In front of you are two guys on a motorcycle goofing off. Up ahead, you spot a cyclist getting in a late afternoon training ride. He's in the shoulder, no big deal. As the guys on the motorcycle get close to the guy on the bike they swerve over and the guy on the back knock the cyclist over making him crash, hard.

You see the whole thing. What do you do?
First, get those b4stards license plate. if you stop immediately you might not be able to find them again.
after you've got their license plates, stop immediately. turn around, (medium traffic, two lane, use a U-ie, or a driveway.)

Also, it wouldnt hurt to stop by tyhe cyclist before you even got the license plate, roll down your window, yell out to stay put you'll be right back to help him, that you're getting plates.
-estone2

·
TWD
540 Posts
so what's the damage to life/bike?

assuming you took the spill? Realistically you try to get the lic# then help the person if you think they are seriously hurt. If they look like they took a fairly mellow fall then you give chase, get #'s, call 911 from the cell and keep following.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Write the plate numbers down if you can, but the priority is to stop and check on the cyclist. Forget trying to catch the motorcyclists: a semi-well ridden motorcycle won't be caught, and you'll just end up putting others at risk with some ill-advised "chase."

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
Get the plate if I can, but the cyclist comes first.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'll get the tags first while dialing 911. Yeah there's an argument for immediately stopping for the cyclist. Realistically, what are you gonna do? Stand over him and dial 911. I can dial while following the motorcycle guys to get there tags.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
biknben said:
I'll get the tags first while dialing 911. Yeah there's an argument for immediately stopping for the cyclist. Realistically, what are you gonna do? Stand over him and dial 911. I can dial while following the motorcycle guys to get there tags.
Gee. What can you do? Well, you can apply pressure to a bleeding wound. You can see whether the rider is breathing and has a pulse, both of which are essential bits of info for EMS crews. You can help the guy hold is head still. Becoming paralyzed from damage done from a cervical fracture is no fun.

Going after the motorcycle guys DOES make you a traffic hazard and only serves some stupid need of your ego. Sorry, you won't catch the motorcycle guys, and at that point they're not important anyway. The rider's health, condition are most important. If anyone thinks anything else then they really are totally lacking in clues.

If nothing else, you could just be there for another human being instead of going all vigilante and Dubya-like, speeding down the road. There is A LOT that people can do for the cyclist in this situation, but people are either too lazy, too self-centered, or too distanced from their fellow humans to do anything. F*ck, you'd be surprised how much it helps to have someone there just to talk to.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
biknben said:
This is pretty much what I think I'd do.

My thought process, and everything I posted with the exception of the assault happened on the way home today, was that there was ample traffic behind me but I was the ONLY car with visibility of the motorcycle's tags and could describe it and the riders and was an eye witness to the assault. My assumption would be that someone behind me would stop to help the cyclist and that he would very much appreciate me going after the tags. I would most definitely turn around after getting them and would give up the chase if it became dangerous.

If it were a deserted country road or late at night or in bad weather, I'm pretty positive I'd stop and help the cyclist and not go after the bad guys but the conditions today were different.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
KenB said:

My thought process, and everything I posted with the exception of the assault happened on the way home today, was that there was ample traffic behind me but I was the ONLY car with visibility of the motorcycle's tags and could describe it and the riders and was an eye witness to the assault. My assumption would be that someone behind me would stop to help the cyclist and that he would very much appreciate me going after the tags. I would most definitely turn around after getting them and would give up the chase if it became dangerous.

If it were a deserted country road or late at night or in bad weather, I'm pretty positive I'd stop and help the cyclist and not go after the bad guys but the conditions today were different.
That's a good one: counting on someone else to do the right thing. Thumbs up, there.

Let's face it. The reason y'all don't want to stop is because if you did you might muss your suits or your hair, or get your hands dirty.

It takes no effort at all to go through a simple first aid course, and even if you don't common sense will get you a long way with someone who's gone down. Staying in your vehicle while you play the cop wannabe or vigilante bit pretty flies in the face of everything that first aid is all about.

If you can't be bothered to help or at least check on someone who's down, why would you even pretend that chasing someone matters?

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
My initial reaction would depend a lot on my initial assessment of the crash. Did the hit rider immediately jump up waving his fists, or did he disappear down into a deep, water-filled ditch? If I had a good feeling that the rider was going to be okay for a minute or two without my extremely limited first aid abilities, I'd try to go get the tag. I know if I were the rider who was hit I'd really, really appreciate this information.

I would also say that as a motorcyclist I find this scenario implausible. Motorcyclists generally try very hard not to hit anything. If a motorcyclist knocked down a bicycle there's a good chance that the motorcycle rider is going down too, or at the very least his bike would be scratched up and as a rule motorcyclists are pretty anal about that kind of thing. I think you guys have watched Mad Max one too many times :rolleyes:

·
returning newbie
23 Posts
I would definitely stop and help the cyclist. My first concern would be to see that he/she is alright. I can't see any dilemna here. We are all cyclists and I would like to think that someone would stop and help me if it ever happened to me. Instead of relying on others to help the cyclist, I would feel much better relying on someone else to chase down the motorcycle riders.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alienator said:
That's a good one: counting on someone else to do the right thing. Thumbs up, there.

Let's face it. The reason y'all don't want to stop is because if you did you might muss your suits or your hair, or get your hands dirty.

It takes no effort at all to go through a simple first aid course, and even if you don't common sense will get you a long way with someone who's gone down. Staying in your vehicle while you play the cop wannabe or vigilante bit pretty flies in the face of everything that first aid is all about.

If you can't be bothered to help or at least check on someone who's down, why would you even pretend that chasing someone matters?
Now I definitely won't stop if it's YOU who goes down. ;)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
undies said:
My initial reaction would depend a lot on my initial assessment of the crash. Did the hit rider immediately jump up waving his fists, or did he disappear down into a deep, water-filled ditch? If I had a good feeling that the rider was going to be okay for a minute or two without my extremely limited first aid abilities, I'd try to go get the tag. I know if I were the rider who was hit I'd really, really appreciate this information.

I would also say that as a motorcyclist I find this scenario implausible. Motorcyclists generally try very hard not to hit anything. If a motorcyclist knocked down a bicycle there's a good chance that the motorcycle rider is going down too, or at the very least his bike would be scratched up and as a rule motorcyclists are pretty anal about that kind of thing. I think you guys have watched Mad Max one too many times :rolleyes:
Not a collision, an assault. The guy on the back of the bike pulls the rider down. It's hypothetical, but very plausible.

You mustn't have many tards on crotch rockets in your area. We've got gobs of them near me -- racing, passing on the shoulders, passing while doing wheelies, doing stopies at lights and all other manner of stupid bike stunts. I see 'em crash often enough too.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
KenB said:

the meds from my brk clav have me loopy and 1 thing i don't understand...was the incident u witnessed intentional? i know that's hard to say but did it look like they swerved into him or did something to him intentionally to make him dump? or were they screwing around and then tried to avoid him causing him to dump? it's unrelated but i'm curious if the bikers were being malicious or it was fun gone wrong? either way is awful but intentional is astounding...

if it were me i'd accelerate to get the plates at full speed & make a bline back to the cyclist...

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chuckice said:
the meds from my brk clav have me loopy and 1 thing i don't understand...was the incident u witnessed intentional? i know that's hard to say but did it look like they swerved into him or did something to him intentionally to make him dump? or were they screwing around and then tried to avoid him causing him to dump? it's unrelated but i'm curious if the bikers were being malicious or it was fun gone wrong? either way is awful but intentional is astounding...

if it were me i'd accelerate to get the plates at full speed & make a bline back to the cyclist...
Totally hypothetical situation but yes, it was intentional. They moved over and the guy on the back of the motorcycle reached out and grabbed the cyclist, pulling him off his bike.

I see goofball behavior from "motorcyclists" all of the time. It is usually dangerous and irresponsible, often taunting drivers around them and doing otherwise stupid things. That was the behavior I witnessed yesterday on the way home and it made me think about a "what if" to post here. I don't mean to single out motorcyclists... the same situation could apply to any type of motorist.

Yup, I'd call 911, get the tags and then head back to the down cyclist.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I hear you guys. Motorcycling has seen a huge boom in the USA in the last ten years, and many of those new riders are complete jackasses. It's depressing because they give everyone a bad name. Between the squids and the bar hopping a-holes on straight piped Harleys I can certainly appreciate why non-riders have a negative view. In the motorcycle forums I frequent people complain about these things all the time, and this thread just backs up the reality of the problem. Unfortunately the people riding sanely don't make as strong an impression so you don't remember them, only the jackasses. :mad:

That said, I still find it highly unlikely that a motorcyclist would purposely take down a bicyclist. Even a jackass knows that it would probably do more damage to his motorcycle than the bicyclist. If a squid crashed into you by accident, well there's a really good chance that you're going to have to call 911 for both parties. I think your more realistic threats are from cell-phone chatting car drivers and SUV pilots with superiority complexes.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.