Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our group ride over the weekend a rider broke his chain about five miles into the ride. Actually he said he had just put the chain on the night before so more accurately I should say his chain came apart probably do to DIY error.

He was wigged out thinking he may have ruined the chain because it's a $150 dollar chain! I couldn't help but wonder what makes a chain worth $150? And then the way people think you need to change your chain every 3000 miles (I don't) how could that be worth it?

I pay $35 for my Campy chain and $17 for my Ultegra, never have any issues with shifting or noise, and get easily 6000 plus miles on a chain.

So what do you get for $150 chain?

PS...yes he did fall when the chain separated, tore his jersey, bloodied his elbow, hurt his ribs, scuffed his seat, called the wife to come get him because no one had the correct link pin or a chain tool.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bragging rights. You also lighten your wallet. If you carry your wallet on bike rides, it may be a performance enhancement.
lol

I know better chains and better components have their advantages, but your post is funny anyway. Plus I am not sure ANY chain is worth $150.00!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
He can be certain that on a group ride, he's the only rider with a $150 chain. People like to have something that no one else has.

With a chain, he would have to tell others how much you paid for it if he wanted them to notice the exclusivity. Since you know the price of the chain, he must have told you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn't know you could pay $150 for a chain. I just bought five Ultegra chains from Nashbar for $86.

As far as longevity, I do need to change my chain at around 3,000 miles. At that point it's pretty stretched out and starting to skip a little.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So my question is was he distraught and emotionally broken due to the fact that he ruined his relationship with his $150 chain or was he just pissed because he screwed up installing it? Did he name his chain and refer to as a she?

As for the value maybe he just over paid for a $35 dollar chain. Though I've seen some KMC's with special colors going for $80 to $100.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts

PS...yes he did fall when the chain separated, tore his jersey, bloodied his elbow, hurt his ribs, scuffed his seat, called the wife to come get him because no one had the correct link pin or a chain tool.
Sounds like it cost more that $150.

BTW... you never mentioned what chain this was. Is it gold plated?

Bragging rights. You also lighten your wallet. If you carry your wallet on bike rides, it may be a performance enhancement.
I was gonna mentioned you get a lighter wallet. But never thought about the carrying it on the ride aspect! lol

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts

Stephen Cummings' stage-winning CeramicSpeed chain used at Criterium du Dauphine | Cyclingnews.com

I believe this is the most expensive chain you can buy, but it's just a normal chain. I think it's just a normal KMC chain. What's expensive about it is the lube.

They soak the new chain and agitate it in mineral spirits and remove all the OEM lube. They then do repeated dip treatments in a specific hot wax that has teflon and moly and whatnot in it. Once it's all dry it's ready to go.

As you might imagine, the hot wax coating only lasts a couple hundred miles. From that point on they supply a bottle of Squirt brand drip lube to finish out the life of the chain. Squirt is the fastest and most efficient lube you can use and it's the same properties at the hot coating minus the teflon and moly stuff.

If it's not one of these UFO chains, it's just one that's DLC coated or something for looks. In either case, he's a complete idiot, but we all already knew that. Moron can't even install a chain correctly. He should be suspended from internet shopping.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You get free speed. Very important if you're winning a stage of the TdF (Steve Cummings had one) or setting the hour record (Wiggo had one). For most, not important if you're trying to win your club ride.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
He was wigged out thinking he may have ruined the chain because it's a $150 dollar chain! I couldn't help but wonder what makes a chain worth $150? And then the way people think you need to change your chain every 3000 miles (I don't) how could that be worth it?
I measure with a ruler to see when the chain needs to be replaced. It's usually around 2500 miles or so (for me). Running a worn out chain is needlessly stupid as the performance on the cassette is noticeably worse. There are many reasons why chains last longer for different people...don't assume just because you get 6000 miles everyone else is wrong, crazy etc...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
YBN Titanium Gold Chain - $199

https://moltenspeedwax.com/collections/ybn-chains/products/ybn-11-speed-titanium-chain-sla211

YBN 11sp 6.4 Titanium Gold Chain SLA211$199.99

YBN has created the lightest and most technically advanced 11 speed chain in the world, period. Weighing a scant 207 grams for 106 links courtesy of 6.4 titanium, hollow pins and laser cutouts, the SLA211 is also extremely durable with a service life up to 8,000 kilometers. Add in YBN's Ni-PTFE coating to reduce friction and chamfered plates for precise shifting and this chain is ready to win straight out of the box. How apropos the color is top-step podium gold.

Compatible with Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo 11 speed drivetrains; suitable for everyday use as well as racing; includes 2 complete QRS master links (each five times reusable) and 2 traditional connecting pins

Additional tech: DHA chromium hardened pins and rollers / Ti-Nitride treatment for durability / Tested 4.75 watts by Friction Facts / Flat-step riveting for pin strength exceeding 350kgf / Salt spray test: 500 hours / Arc guide block design for chain stability / Thin plate construction for shift accuracy / Size: 1/2" X 11/128" / Pin length: 5.5mm / Total number of links: 116 / For road and off road use

·
Registered
12,061 Posts

Stephen Cummings' stage-winning CeramicSpeed chain used at Criterium du Dauphine | Cyclingnews.com

I believe this is the most expensive chain you can buy, but it's just a normal chain. I think it's just a normal KMC chain. What's expensive about it is the lube.

They soak the new chain and agitate it in mineral spirits and remove all the OEM lube. They then do repeated dip treatments in a specific hot wax that has teflon and moly and whatnot in it. Once it's all dry it's ready to go.

As you might imagine, the hot wax coating only lasts a couple hundred miles. From that point on they supply a bottle of Squirt brand drip lube to finish out the life of the chain. Squirt is the fastest and most efficient lube you can use and it's the same properties at the hot coating minus the teflon and moly stuff.

If it's not one of these UFO chains, it's just one that's DLC coated or something for looks. In either case, he's a complete idiot, but we all already knew that. Moron can't even install a chain correctly. He should be suspended from internet shopping.
essentially just a paraffin treatment. has been done for decades and decades. and it can be repeated when it's gone.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,409 Posts
You also get to show how incredibly stupid, crazy or gullible you are.

One thing is for sure. If I somehow found myself spending $150 on a chain, I certainly wouldn't be telling anybody - especially if I had just installed it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yes a tool is fine as well. As long as you use the same one. I've seen different tools indicate the same chain as ok and replace...metal ruler is easy to see a 1/16th inch. I like to be as pitch perfect as possible:)

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Yes a tool is fine as well. As long as you use the same one. I've seen different tools indicate the same chain as ok and replace...metal ruler is easy to see a 1/16th inch. I like to be as pitch perfect as possible:)
I use a tool as a quick check as I go along. Once the tool starts getting close to the limit, I'll pull out the ruler for accurate checks.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
1/16th of an inch is just a guideline/suggestion/rule of thumb or whatever though isn't it? I don't think it's like you're using a brand new chain at 1/15 and then the world ends at 1/17 is it? So I'm not sure why people feel the need to be so so precise unless I'm wrong about the significance of the 1/16 guideline. 1/15 is you're conservative and 1/17 if you want to take a walk on the wild side is probably okay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It makes a lovely "cha ching!" sound when you change gears instead of the usual clatter. :lol:

In other news, at what point are you supposed to replace your chain? My Park Tools CC 3.2 .5% side now fits into the chain with some slight friction, I'm at 1,300 miles (bike came with 2,000 miles on it, not sure how old the chain/drivetrain is).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts