Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 175 lbs, 5'11 - 6'0 tall, and I ride a size 57 2007 Pinarello F3:13 road bike. I would like to add an all around commuter bike with the capabilities to carry simple groceries and handle occasional touring trips. The main purpose of this bike would be to commute to school which is 24 miles round trip. However, I think it is imperative I have triple gearing because my commute everyday involves a hill with an average grade of 10% for over a half a mile

Barring brand names and looks, would this bike in a Large be sturdy enough to do the above?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3040

Any other recommendations? My price range is $800.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
#1 You worry too much, any bike will be fine.

#2 Your link is broken.

We're Sorry
We can't find the page you requested
Please use the navigation tabs above or the search feature.

#3 If you are looking for a good value think used.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
if brand and looks aren't a factor I'd go with the <a href="http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm">windsor tourist</a> and spend the other $200 on bags and pedals if you want clipless.

· Registered
162 Posts
Why do people buy new bikes for commuting purposes? Don't they understand that a new bike doesn't work any better or worse than used bike that's had a good tune up?

A good used bike from craigslist will cost a lot less. It might mean going to see a few bikes to find one you like, but the savings can be huge. Add to that the fact that a used bike will sometimes LOOK used, and that can be a virtue in a commuter bike, since you have to lock it up from time to time, and thieves often go for new and shiny before they go for old and (perceived to be) busted. A good tune up will remedy any problems the bike has, and with fresh grease, new brake pads, and cable adjustments, it will work as well as any new bike.

It's one of the best and easiest recycling programs that I know of.

· Registered
5,555 Posts
uber-stupid said:
Why do people buy new bikes for commuting purposes? Don't they understand that a new bike doesn't work any better or worse than used bike that's had a good tune up?

A good used bike from craigslist will cost a lot less. It might mean going to see a few bikes to find one you like, but the savings can be huge. Add to that the fact that a used bike will sometimes LOOK used, and that can be a virtue in a commuter bike, since you have to lock it up from time to time, and thieves often go for new and shiny before they go for old and (perceived to be) busted. A good tune up will remedy any problems the bike has, and with fresh grease, new brake pads, and cable adjustments, it will work as well as any new bike.

It's one of the best and easiest recycling programs that I know of.
Because some of us ride them many miles every day and are looking for very specific things that might take forever to find if you were looking used. I like high quality components that I won't have to fiddle with much--a "good tune up" won't do much for used mid-level components that have a lot of miles of them already. My Surly Cross Check commuter is inside my office. Cost me about $700 to build not including some parts I already had lying around.

· Registered
834 Posts
Henry's right...if you don't want to go used (which I think is the best for a beater bike) just build up a Surly CrossCheck. Got to be the best general purpose bikes in existence. Heh....I was planning to build one, when somebody GAVE me a mint condition, vintage Trek 970 mountain bike. All it needs is street tires, new stem, bar and grips..I've already got the rack, fenders, kickstand, and lights. Probably put in a Brooks in place of the old Serta saddle. Heh...the price was right! Someone steals this, I'm not out $700+ like with the Surly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.