Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to road biking, and want to get into fixed gears, I was planning on buying an old cheap road bike and converting it, but then I found this one on ebay, and it's a really good price. Even with shipping it's still cheaper than if I were to convert an old road bike. Just wondering if it's any good, I just want to use it for commuting, and exercise. The only thing I'm worried about is that it has no company that makes it, and I want to get something that will last.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/55cm-Track-Fixed...Z008QQcategoryZ159089QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and I know that it ends really soon, but the ebay store has many many more

Thanks

· Registered
460 Posts
There's something in the picture I cannot tell for sure but just doesn't look right to me.

No head tube and seat tube angles?

The toptube for the first four sizes all starts with 53 cm, from 53 for a size 49 to a 53.75 for a size 58 with the size 61 at 54cm.

I personally prefer a steel (chromoly) frame and prices start at $350 for a complete bicycle.

For $300 I'll look elsewhere.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Looks like garbage to me. None of the parts are branded, except the "promax" brakes. I don't know how they can build a fixed gear that is so heavy--- 22lbs. My beater conversion is under 18--- and I made no effort to build it light. Also, the geometry looks screwy on that bike--- a 58 with a 53.75 TT? Strange.

By the time you pay shipping, you could buy an entry level fixed gear at your LBS--- or a used bike on craigslist.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I built a 17.5 lb bike out of a thrown away lugged steel frameset, a few hand-me-down parts, and scraps lying around.... and it has an excellent ride.

My point: I would much rather pay $350 for the parts to build up a nice vintage steel conversion than to buy a new anything.

MisterC said:
I was going to plug craigs list also.

But I also don't think of 22lbs as being all that heavy for a 350 complete. Even if it's aluminum.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I unfortunately can't get any of the three bikes shown, because bikesdirect doesn't ship to Canada. Also, craigslist in Toronto/Hamilton area doesn't have any fixed gears. I'm still thinking of converting now, and I was thinking of using IRO parts, is there any cheaper parts that are the same quality?

· Registered
868 Posts
Are you sure about BikesDirect not shipping to Canada?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/ship_info.html. Looks like they ship all over the world.

The map says they ship to Canada.

As for conversions, Toronto Craigslist has lots of bikes that are worthy of conversion.

There is a Cramerotti 54 cm that would be a great bike. There was also a Lovell frame and there is a Concorde that looks half decent. Of course it depends on your size but there are bikes out there ready to be built up. With CL you have to be quick to jump on the deals.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, I actually couldn't find the shipping map from bikesdirect.

As for Craigslist, I guess I wasn't clear, I just meant that they didn't have any full fixed gear bikes, not frames that could be converted. I have access to some old road frames, but I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get a fixed gear, since I'm a student, and on a budget

· Registered
563 Posts
sosapilot said:
I'm still thinking of converting now, and I was thinking of using IRO parts, is there any cheaper parts that are the same quality?
IRO isn't a brand name they just put their shop name on other brand parts. Yes you can look for better maybe even cheaper. Check out the resources sticky at the top of this section.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Sorry but I disagree. IRO has outstanding customer service

Alx said:
IRO isn't a brand name they just put their shop name on other brand parts. Yes you can look for better maybe even cheaper. Check out the resources sticky at the top of this section.

Sorry but I disagree. IRO has outstanding customer service...Their hubs are re-badged Formula hubs....bullet proof..Nice frames too..... They are a top notch company... I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them..

IRO is no different than BD or Performance. They are all rebadged bikes/parts

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Your dilemma is shipping to Canada...

Your dilemma is shipping to Canada...in your price range, shipping could make a certain bike not competitive.

I suggest calling/emailing IRO, BD, and Performance and get a quote to ship to Canada... A $350 fixie quickly becomes a $500+ fixie if the shipping is high....

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, shipping really is the killer here, I checked bikesdirect and they said to ship it to canada is free, but I doubt that's actually true

Me too.....Email them and ask...They don't have a phone number...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.