Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i work in the bike industry and the company I work for sells Grammo wheels. They are a New Zealand company that has wheels made for them in Taiwan. Pretty nice stuff. They are made in the factory that does a lot of wheel building for a ton of other more well known brands. Anyway, they were asking me about cross wheels and they pretty much gave me free reign. Coming in August we'll have an aluminum rim, cross tubular, complete wheel with external nipples and cartridge bearing hubs. It should retail for about $250 US. It's going to be 28h rear and 24h front. Lacing will be 3x rear and either radial or 2x front. I'm personally leaning towards 2x. Here's a few pics of the rim. It's the same rim used on the track wheel, so hubs and lacing will be different than in the pics, but you get the idea. sorry if this seems like Spam. It wasn't meant to be. I'm just pretty excited about getting to have this amount of input into a production component.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgive my ignorance

But what's rein?

As soon as I have a set in my hands I'll throw them on the scale and get a real weight. I don't want to guess and be way off base. The protos should be here in a few weeks.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Veleno Ultra http://www.grammo-bici.it/index.php?pageid=6&product_id=45&brand_id=1?

750g F, 1050g R is not impressive, even if the tubular rim is a little lighter (and especially since the spoke count will be higher).

I agree with Pretender regarding deep rims and Al.

$250 for heavy rims and ??? hubs is not worth it IMO.

Edit: What's with the faux-Italian website?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't go off of the weights

For the Track wheels. The hubs they use have solid axles and are really beefy. As far as the spoke count, being that the wheels aren't radially laced and the rim is a bit deeper than a true box section, they should be pretty tough. I agree that 32 front and rear would make a tougher wheel, but these will cross over to the road a little easier and still be plenty strong. I'm hoping the weight comes in at around 1750g. These wheels aren't going to do away with the reflex/ambrosio hand builts on Ultegra or DA hubs. They're intended to be a relatively cheap way to get into a reliable tubular wheelset.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
I, for one, think they're not too bad. If these had been available two years ago, I'd be seriously considering them, rather than the NOS rims I have, still waiting to be built up...

It's definitely a spot that no pre-built wheel fills (the budget tubular wheel). 28r 24f shouldn't be too bad, really - having a 25mm rim still lets you throw in the "ZOMG DEEPDISHAERROW!1" marketing angle...

ps. +1 what's with the "italian" website? (well, besides marketing angle)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's top secret!

No it's really just a marketing thing that the Kiwis who own Grammo do. According to them, anything Italian down there sells like hot cakes. We'll probably have an American site up in a while. Just don't hold your breath.:D

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
With "good" tires at $100 or higher a piece and requiring almost as much time and technical aptitude to mount as it takes to build a wheel, "cheap prebuilt tubular wheels" might be a niche that isn't occupied for a reason.

I'm not sure they offer much of a price break over wheels built out of known-quantity components.

I think you'd be better off pitching Grammo on a tubeless ready budget wheelset. You could probably sell a jillion of those.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Budget tubeless

Is a bit harder. The stuff to make this wheelset already existed. With tubeless you'd need to come up with a new extrusion that eliminates spoke holes on the inside or include a rim strip/valve/sealant kit that adds to the cost.:( It would be a cool item though. As far as the cost of tubular tires goes, you're right. Although Vittoria and conti make decent (not the best, but good) tubulars at a fair price. This wheelset is really for someone just looking at either their first set or getting a inexpensive second set for a spare. If it saves them some coin, then they can spend it on more tires. Or gas to travel to the races with the way prices for petrol are going!:D

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
You can buy used tubular wheelsets on eBay for under $100. That is the direction I was steered in when I wanted to get started, and I would do the same for anyone else. At that price, I could have lighter wheels and Dugasts for less than Grammos with Vittorias. Which would you recommend?

I know it would be harder to do tubeless, but it suspect it would be much more profitable.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
You can buy used tubular wheelsets on eBay for under $100. That is the direction I was steered in when I wanted to get started, and I would do the same for anyone else. At that price, I could have lighter wheels and Dugasts for less than Grammos with Vittorias. Which would you recommend?
Scoring on cheap tubular wheelsets on eBay is getting much harder these days. Even a year ago, I was seeing them regularly. Not so much anymore. I also think that a lot of people feel more confident buying new rather than used on eBay.

I'm on the fence regarding these wheels. I know that a lot of racers think their Ks are the bees knees for tubular cross wheels. But there are very good options for less coin (than K's) available. A reasonable set of wheels would be Reflex rims with Ultegra hubs. I'm not sure the weight but the lighter rims spin up faster.

In cross, light rims are a big plus because of the frequent cycles of slow and fast(er).

On the other hand, I raced a set of Rolf Vector Comps my first season and I really liked the way they handled in mud. Those old Rolfs are a lot like these.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Gripped said:
Scoring on cheap tubular wheelsets on eBay is getting much harder these days. Even a year ago, I was seeing them regularly. Not so much anymore. I also think that a lot of people feel more confident buying new rather than used on eBay.
Maybe, though I just got another set for $100 shipped. DA\GL330\32DB\3x\1550g. Not what I would swear by for a stranger, but I trained and raced on an identical set last year and they were fine for 170# me as my too-harsh-conditions-for-my-"nice"-wheels wheels.

I could build new 105/Escape wheels for about $250 and have the comfort of buying new and the comfort of buying known. I'm pretty sure they would be competitive on weight with 1750g, especially if that doesn't include skewers.

Basically, I am not sure that these are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gripped said:
You're right that they are harder to find, but they are still out there. I recently picked up a set of Mavic Classic Pros for $101 including shipping.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
bchuang said:
You're right that they are harder to find, but they are still out there. I recently picked up a set of Mavic Classic Pros for $101 including shipping.
Nice. To be honest, I haven't been looking since I'm okay with wheels right now. I think one's knowledge of availability might be affected by how diligent one was recently looking. I've just been casually browsing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I for one am happy to see a wheelset like this on the market!!!

I think they will sell just fine.
Glad to see somebody giving OUR niche a nod.
Yea, nos or lightly used on ebay might be cheeper, but sometimes, some people want/need to buy new. It's a good thing that these will be available this year. Even if you don't like them you will still benefit from there presence.

Thanks Grammo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.