Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a reflective mood, and as i sat there last night i realized what i missed was the local training series and the many races i had to choose from back in the early 90's. Back then i had a great circuit to do on wed night for 5 dollars, and then on thur night i had a really nice crit series to do that i could race two races in, both again for 5 dollars each. Then in this area (Wilmington De.) we allways seemed to have races going on every weekend. Not any more, these things are gone and sadly forgotten. I still see lots and lots of road riders out there, but the drive to race seems to have gone out of these people. Still back in the day it was a great way to race yourself into shape. Guess i'll have to get to more mtn bike races if i want my fix.
Bill

· Registered
124 Posts
I miss being in my 20's, with no wife, no kids, no house, not being the boss and getting 4 workouts a week at the gym and 10k miles in per year. Now I wouldn't go back 20 years and trade my life now for what I had then, but there is just that little slice of freetime that just doesn't exist right now in my life.

Time to go ride a little and then go to work. :)

· 100% torqued
766 Posts
Freedom of my twenties. I worked nights in the restaurant industry, work was social, fun and easy money. I could ride and run all day, and did. Life was simple. I look back and wonder what it was I wanted so bad that I needed to move on from that. Like Midwest Bike Dude I wouldn't trade my family and current life, but there are times when I miss that freedom.

I also miss the newness of stuff. When I first got into the sport in the mid 80's road and mountain bike equipment was changing rapidly. It was cool to open a magazine back then and see what was new for the month. Now, it may be from experience, or just that the insanity of that growth has slowed the products touted as new and improved just are not all that revolutionary.

· your god hates me
1,605 Posts
Ditto all that "Being back in my twenties" stuff...only, can I be as smart as I am now? Youth Is Wasted On The Young, indeed!

Y'know what I really miss though? And this will probably sound strange, if not downright stupid:

I really miss riding without a helmet. Something about that sense of freedom, of flying practically, with the wind in your hair...

But I wouldn't dare try it now. Like driving a car without a seatbelt, I'd feel too naked & vulnerable.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Some of it's coming back now ...

I was primarily a runner in my 20s and 30s; didn't start cycling semi-seriously until I realized my knees hurt whenever I paid enough attention to them to notice it, so I have memories of both activities. And since my kids weren't born until I was in my late 30s, after nearly 10 years of marriage, I had a long stretch of doing exactly what I pleased nearly all the time. As it does for most people, that changed when I had children/bought a house/"advanced" in my career (from a job I liked and did well to one I hated and did less well).
The good news is that the kids are out of the house, I bailed on the job, the house is as whipped into shape as I care to make it and I can make time for just about anything I want to do.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
At 64 years old,

I miss riding a tight paceline with people my age, my abilities and my level of experience. Almost all of the people I raced with or against ten years ago have put the bike away for good. The fast shop rides are too fast for me now, while the tourists are still too slow and scare the shite out of me. I find myself straddling the fence and mostly ride solo, which I find enjoyable in it's own way and much better than hanging it up.

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
wim said:
I miss riding a tight paceline with people my age, my abilities and my level of experience. Almost all of the people I raced with or against ten years ago have put the bike away for good. The fast shop rides are too fast for me now, while the tourists are still too slow and scare the shite out of me. I find myself straddling the fence and mostly ride solo, which I find enjoyable in it's own way and much better than hanging it up.

You are my hero. We have about a half dozen members in our club just like you. They command my respect because of their knowledge, skill, dedication and zest for life. I want to be able to migrate over from the crack high of riding fast into the mellow high of riding at my own pace and soaking in all that is arround me. Right now I do a little of both. There are people just like you all around. Find some and ride together.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
crossracer said:
I'm in a bit of a reflective mood, and as i sat there last night i realized what i missed was the local training series and the many races i had to choose from back in the early 90's. Back then i had a great circuit to do on wed night for 5 dollars, and then on thur night i had a really nice crit series to do that i could race two races in, both again for 5 dollars each. Then in this area (Wilmington De.) we allways seemed to have races going on every weekend. Not any more, these things are gone and sadly forgotten. I still see lots and lots of road riders out there, but the drive to race seems to have gone out of these people. Still back in the day it was a great way to race yourself into shape. Guess i'll have to get to more mtn bike races if i want my fix.
Bill
I've only been bike (road/track) racing a few years, but it is definately on the upswing around Chicago. The new races are mostly non-USCF, grass roots races that tend to have more opportunities for beginners, masters, juniors, etc. I think there are actually less USCF races than 4 years ago. The standard roadie model of "racing" just does not attract enough new riders to be sustainable here. - TF

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I miss the trio rides with two friends of mine......actually......

I miss the fact that only two of my friends ride now. One of these friends has
moved over 100 miles away so I rarely get to see him, we just did a mountain
bike ride but his dad has cancer (terminal) so we won't be able to see him too
often. The other friend likes to ride but has a lot of other activities he enjoys
so it's once a month.

I'm usually lone wolf out there but the wife is getting a mountain bike soon
so maybe she'll be riding more now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.