Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been given $300 to put towards a road bike of my choice as a graduation gift. I'm also willing to put in $150. I've been checking out some places online like bikesdirect. com and what not. I've heard of some good things about the Schwinn 700C Prelude from target. I'll be riding about 20 miles a day. I was wondering what would you recommend as a good starter bike?

· Registered
100 Posts
Used from e-bay. Don't buy anything from target, walmart, general sporting good stores, etc, etc, etc.

I built up a fairly nice bike for about $500. However, I got the wheels for free and most of the rest of the stuff dates to the 70's...

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Nnate42 said:
Hello, I've been given $300 to put towards a road bike of my choice as a graduation gift. I'm also willing to put in $150. I've been checking out some places online like bikesdirect. com and what not. I've heard of some good things about the Schwinn 700C Prelude from target. I'll be riding about 20 miles a day. I was wondering what would you recommend as a good starter bike?

First off welcome to the RBR forum. Might suggest you go down to the Beginners forum. There are several posts about buying you first bike. Most if not all on this forum would not suggest getting a bike from a Target, Walmart or any other discount store. Not that the bike you are going to get is going to bad but there is no support after the sale and you will need that for sure if you are just starting out. Most folks advice would be to start at a local bike store and get some advice there. For the amount of money you are willing to spend there are several bikes they could get you on along with getting you fitted properly and all the necessary gear including helmet and riding shorts. Anyway, take a look in beginners and see if those post are helpful. Again welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.