Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nashbar Carbon Road Frame and Fork

$599, and then you get 20% off. That's $540 for a frame. It's Di2 ready.

Figure you can build it up with Ultegra Di2
Drivetrain: 1100
Headset: 50
Pedals: 60
Wheels: 400-800
Bars: 50
Stem: 50
Saddle: 75
Bar tape: 10
Tires: 70

Total: $2400-3000

What's the quality of these frames? I figure they must be at least as good as the Chinese Ebay frames, and if you have a problem, you can at least send it back to Nashbar.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
That frame + fork costs about what my Vienamese evniable fork costs alone. I say you can't go wrong. I've been buying stuff from Nashbar since the mid 1980s. They are a reputable joint. Supposedly they will take anything back without question.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've never owned one, but I've been tempted to try this very thing.

I think you would get a perfectly serviceable frame that is safe to ride.

What you probably won't get is any kind of specific engineering to make the frame more rigid in the chassis and compliant for the rider (that sort of stuff).

They do have a great return policy if it doesn't end up meeting you satisfaction. The worst case scenario is you hate it, get a refund, and put the money towards something else to pin your components on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently building up a used Tarmac SL4 frame that I got on eBay for $1k. For an extra $350, I think that the looks and engineering are probably worth it, even if it is used.

I don't think that a carbon frame under normal conditions really fatigues, so I'm not concerned about age or miles.

I'm not really sure how much frame is a factor in ride quality though. Drastic differences, like the difference between aluminum and carbon, make a difference. Smaller differences though, like the difference between grades of carbon that make the frame slightly stiffer, are probably not perceptible, considering the fact that stiffness of wheels and tires will make a bigger difference to how ride feels.

Weight is almost negligible at this point. The difference of even 100 grams between two bikes is the same as the difference between bringing a multi-tool and forgetting it. It's not rotational weight.

Aerodynamics of the frame is also minimal, because your body surrounds the frame. Aerodynamic wheels may make a difference, but body position is a far greater factor.

Finally, the biggest difference is bike fit. Any rider will ride faster for longer if he feels comfortable and the bike fits him well.

But still, I'd pay money for a prettier bike.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
There are several riders in my area with them. I see them on the charity rides a lot too. Their aluminum frame used to be very popular around here too, but their carbon one seems to have taken over.

I see zero problems with and I've heard zero problems with it. Not that I'm a large sample size or anything but your assumptions are all correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts