Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
go up
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something yesterday I don't think I can support. I've been thinking about it a good deal because, as a cyclist, I am concerned with acceptance of bikes on the roadways.

Anyway, I was riding with a group of folks yesterday an a road frequently used by the cycling folks here in Chapel Hill, NC. It is also very busy with traffic heading to and from a large lake. We noticed something unusual headed the other way, three or Four people on rollerblades, with a long line of cars behind them, just skating along in the middle of the lane. They don't just go in a straight line, they have to kind of slide-left, slide-right, etc, to get anywhere, making it near impossible to pass. I know the folks in the cars had to be pissed.

What do you think? Should they be afforded the same rights we as cyclists demand have, (should have), or should they be trapped in parks and on sidewalks? What are the chances this can result in bad news for cycling?

·
Registered
797 Posts
deadlegs said:
three or Four people on rollerblades, with a long line of cars behind them, just skating along in the middle of the lane.
Run them over and "thin the herd"..... As cyclists, we have the cutacy to ride on the sholder of the road, anybody dumb enough to skate in the middle...............

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Irritating--but I saw several cyclists do the same today

This was the first nice weekend we've had in awhile, and there were riders everywhere. I did a 25-miler with a couple of friends, and we passed three or four groups of cylists doing exactly the same thing, riding down the middle of the traffic lane, wobbling back and forth, chatting with each other while cars backed up behind them. I'm 100 percent in favor of cyclists' rights, but we don't have the right to do that any more than cars have the right to use the bike lanes.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
Deadlegs,

The Hill, huh? Did this happen to be on 751 south to Jordan? 64 Perhaps?

This was always an issue and I remember thinking how crazy bikers had to be to ride 751 with traffic the way it is and virtually no shoulder.

Insofar as cyclists are concerned, it always appeared as if they were aware of the concept of sharing the road especially on 751. Most bikers along the way knew enough to ride single file in heavy traffic. These rollerbladers clearly need a lesson in courtesy.

I believe the American Tobacco Trail has plenty of paved trails for these people to ride on as logic would dictate that blading is better suited to trails like these, not heavily traveled roads like 751 or 15-501.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Tough call. I'm not sure if "blades" fit into the same legal catagory as bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not smart...

...but not necessarily uncommon. I see cyclists do this and I've seen skaters do this.

I used to skate the Athens to Atlanta race (a 38 and an 86 mile road skate) a few years back. This event brought out people who could rival many cyclists at speed. (I'm not calling out all cat 1 and 2 racers to argue this fact, I just know that your MS riders would have trouble keeping up with the lead skaters)

Putting all skaters in a park would be the same as putting all cyclists there. Skates can be a mode of transportation just as bikes can.

Having said this, courtesy should have taken over and they should have lined up single file.

Of course I had to pass an elderly lady (in her car) on my bike a few weeks back because she was running about 15 miles and hour in a 35 zone. All people are capable of being stupid, hopefully a simple reminder to those at fault will help.

One last thought, Rollerblade is a company, not a sport. I ceertainly don't want to be considered a "Treker". :)

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
konaken said:
One last thought, Rollerblade is a company, not a sport. I ceertainly don't want to be considered a "Treker". :)
Point taken.

Just to make sure though, can you Google it and Xerox a copy for me? ;)

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
deadlegs said:
What do you think? Should they be afforded the same rights we as cyclists demand have, (should have), or should they be trapped in parks and on sidewalks? What are the chances this can result in bad news for cycling?
Here is what would appear to be the relevant paragraph from the Uniform Vehicle Code:

11-1202.Traffic laws apply to persons on bicycles and other human powered vehicles
Every person propelling a vehicle by human power or riding a bicycle shall have all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under chapters 10 and 11, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application.

So what besides a bicycle is a human-powered vehicle? Tricycle? Wheelchair? Skates? How about three guys pushing a '79 Olds Cutlass that won't start?

Whatever the legal status of a skater as a vehicle, the UVC goes on to say this:

11-1205.Position on roadway
(a) Any person operating a bicycle or a moped upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(Exceptions not quoted since they would seem not to apply.)

So even if these skaters were considered vehicles under the law, the described behavior suggests they were in violation of the law. To say nothing of the courtesy issue that others have mentioned.

I don't know that something like this would mean "bad news" for cyclists, other than it just gives certain motorists one more reason to say that anyone not in a car should get the h3ll off "their" roads.

·
go up
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Farrington, maybe, or Beaver Creek??? We had just turned South from 64, at the little store everyone refills and relieves at.

751 is bad, especially North of 64. That is the only way I've found to get from 54 near 55, to the lake roads.

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
Cory said:
three or four groups of cylists doing exactly the same thing, riding down the middle of the traffic lane, wobbling back and forth, chatting with each other while cars backed up behind them. I'm 100 percent in favor of cyclists' rights, but we don't have the right to do that any more than cars have the right to use the bike lanes.

In the UK cyclists have the right to ride two abreast, effectively taking an entire lane. Of course I think on narrow and busy roads they're supposed to revert to riding single file.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Here is where you are missing the point. "...less than the normal speed of traffic..." A bicycle IS TRAFFIC. - TF
Are you speaking to me, TT? I didn't think I was missing the point ... I know a bicycle is traffic.

(Although, I do think it's implicit in the statute that the intent is the normal average speed of the then-present traffic.)

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Are you speaking to me, TT? I didn't think I was missing the point ... I know a bicycle is traffic.

(Although, I do think it's implicit in the statute that the intent is the normal average speed of the then-present traffic.)
Yes you, and "Although, I do think it's implicit in the statute that the intent is the normal average speed of the then-present traffic." is still wrong. In Illinois "traffic"= "Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel."

Bicycles, and other non-automotive means of conveyance, BELONG there. Your auto-centric beliefs are wrong.

TF

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.