Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1065856600.html

60 c-c top tube is right for me. Has fender eyelets and the guys says the headset/BB are in good shape and the seat-post shows no rust.

I'm thinking about it for a Rando/All-Rounder build.

Is this model Trek pretty decent? Think it's worth hanging parts on?

I can't afford a custom lugged steel right now and I'm in the mood for a good project...we have a good co-op here with plenty of parts bins to scavenge from...along with stuff from Velo-Orange, I'd think this could be built into a pretty nice set-up for around $500.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I think yer gonna end up with $500 worth of parts on a $60 frame...

which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Unknown tubing (ishwata made some great tubes, but they also made some crap tubes), a clamp-on style seatpost and that crankset all seem to say that for 60 bucks, you'll be getting exactly what you paid for.

BUT, if it fits, it'd make a fine frame to build up, see if you like the way a Rando/All-Rounder rides, and then sell to someone else for 60 bucks when you find something better.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that was the question...is it a worthy frame or not. I don't know too much about the different quality levels of lugged frames from that era...just saw that it had decent angles and had fender mounts.

Are you saying I should stick to looking for a Raleigh SuperCourse or something like that?

I have a new Bianchi Volpe already, but I love building bikes and am growing enamored with older stuff.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Cervelo-er said:
Good point.

I'd be excited about the Goodtimes frame I lust over and the Rando frameset by VeloOrange...or even a Kogswell P/R since my size has 700c wheels...

The Trek would be fun to build, but probably a bore after that.

Case closed. Let it pass.
Figure that Rando frame from V-O comes with a 6-12 month wait. In the mean time, a $60 frame is a great place to hang the parts...

If it's a bore after you build it, that might be a good indication that it's really not the kind of bike yer interested in- figure the angles are gonna be pretty similar to any newly built "sport tourer"... it'll just weigh a pound or 2 more.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
buck-50 said:
I think yer gonna end up with $500 worth of parts on a $60 frame...

which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Unknown tubing (ishwata made some great tubes, but they also made some crap tubes), a clamp-on style seatpost and that crankset all seem to say that for 60 bucks, you'll be getting exactly what you paid for.

BUT, if it fits, it'd make a fine frame to build up, see if you like the way a Rando/All-Rounder rides, and then sell to someone else for 60 bucks when you find something better.
Hey....I put over $500 worth of parts on a $25 frame and fork. And that was "discounted"!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts