Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
well, when blue bar tape gets old and dirty it looks blue still, but white bar tape ends up looking grayish brownish. if i were you i'd get some red bar tape and then pick up some red tires (whenever you need some).

·
Registered
13 Posts
actually, white bar tape can be easy to keep white. I have white on mine and I find that a plain old toothbrush, some dishwashing detergent, and a little bit of time gets most of the grime right off. Leaving your bars looking like new. You could also try bleach.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
I'm not overly fond of Trek paint schemes, but in this case I'd say the stock blue tape (or at least I'm assuming it's stock) is the right choice. It provides a splash of color at that otherwise-silver end of the bike, balancing the blue swooshes further back on the frame and the blue saddle.

Have you tried playing around with this picture using a graphics editor (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc)? You could sample the various colors on the bike and see how they would look when applied to the bars.

EDIT: You may like 'em, but I peeled those long Bontrager stickers off the wheels on my LeMond. They come off cleanly if you go slow and easy. Made for a MUCH cleaner and classier look, to my eyes anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allez Rouge said:
I'm not overly fond of Trek paint schemes, but in this case I'd say the stock blue tape (or at least I'm assuming it's stock) is the right choice. It provides a splash of color at that otherwise-silver end of the bike, balancing the blue swooshes further back on the frame and the blue saddle.

Have you tried playing around with this picture using a graphics editor (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc)? You could sample the various colors on the bike and see how they would look when applied to the bars.

EDIT: You may like 'em, but I peeled those long Bontrager stickers off the wheels on my LeMond. They come off cleanly if you go slow and easy. Made for a MUCH cleaner and classier look, to my eyes anyway.
I have no idea how to use Photshop or Paint shop, could you fill me in. Thanks
Chris

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Peeling stickers?

I agree with your point about the stickers on Bontrager wheels. Tell me, when you peel off the stickers, do they leave behind any residue? If so, what do you use on it? Alcohol? Acetone?

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
singlespeed1 said:
I have no idea how to use Photshop or Paint shop, could you fill me in.
Yeow, that's almost a whole new forum, all by itself. First thing you'd need is the software (obviously). Then you'd need to learn at least the minimum editing commands. Not rocket science, but WAY more than I could ever hope to explain here.

Basically you want to take a picture of your bike, and do color substitutions for the bar tape using different colors, until you find something you like. The results won't be perfectly photo-realistic but it'll be good enough to give you an idea of how various colors will look, and it only takes a couple of minutes for someone familiar with the software. Ask around at work/school/whatever ... you'll find someone who can do it for you.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Stogaguy said:
I agree with your point about the stickers on Bontrager wheels. Tell me, when you peel off the stickers, do they leave behind any residue? If so, what do you use on it? Alcohol? Acetone?
If you peel the stickers off r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y you shouldn't leave any residue behind at all. The stickum on the decals is pretty soft and tacky; it comes off with the stickers well. As you're peeling, if you see the stickum starting to separate from the decal, just slow down a little and that should stop it.

The *very* small amount of residue I had left on my wheels, in just a couple isolated places, I just rolled off with my thumb. It's not like there was a haze over the entire area where the sticker had been ... once I had the things peeled off, the wheels looked as if they'd never been on there. If for any reason you do get a little stubborn residue, I'd recommend mineral spirits, although acetone is probably safe too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.