Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride through many different areas on my ride to work. One area always smells of bacon and eggs, another smells like chorizo. This morning I went thru an area heavy with older renters and all I could smell was old carpet and cat pee.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Depends on the season. Spring tree blossoms, herbaceous smells in summer, late fall that spicy wood smell of drying leaves (New England), winter is the crisp snow smell overlaid with woodsmoke.

My daughter just graduated from a college in a small town in Minnesota where there's a breakfast cereal plant. When the wind is right the whole town smells you're in a kitchen where muffins and cookies are baking. It's not too bad a deal, as they say in those parts; I've smelled worse things.

· Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Right now the Russian Olive trees are finishing blooming. Whole area has a sweet, almost rose-like scent. Most of summer it's that dry high desert sage/pinon/juniper smell. If I ride down toward the Rio Grande it's a moist muddy smell. Up in the mountains it's Ponderosa Pine to around 8,000 ft, then frt and spruce.

Lots of rural irrigated land in the valleys. Smell of a freshly cut alfalfa field is luscious. Then of course there is the occasional horse/cow or goat meadow. Of the three, goats are the least offensive.

· Workin' for the Man
240 Posts
Along the commute, some odors I encounter are: fermenting hops near the Budweiser brewery -- I can always tell how strong and from what direction the wind is blowing as I approach it. The lovely odor of the sewage treatment plant can enliven the commute, but only early in the morning when the wind is right. I ride as fast as I can through that. Fried seafood by a certain restaurant incites the hunger pangs -- they know how to it right!

The coffee aroma is probably my imagination. I never give myself enough time to enjoy some!

· Registered
681 Posts
Most have mine have been mentioned above.
Here are a few local oddities.

- Bread factories - I think the Greater Toronto Area must make most of the worlds low quality loaf bread... They're everywhere

- Burnt sugar or molasses - Old sugar factory on of my frequent routes. Love the smell when it's cold out and can't stand it when it's hot out.

- Soap - No idea why but there's a large area I ride through where I smell something very similar to hand soap from dispensers.

When I was riding through the mountains in northern Thailand I could smell jasmine. The higher I climbed the stronger the smell got. I associate that smell now with pure pain and pure joy all rolled into one sweet smell.

Nothing is as teasing as the smell of someone's bbq when you're on mile 99 of a 100 mile ride... almost.... home!

· Call me a Fred
17,026 Posts
I must not pay attention. I don't remember any smells.

· Registered
1,364 Posts
It really depends. I only stay in my neighborhood on very slow rides, runs, or walking my dogs (the rest of the time is spent on country roads or MUTs, which smell like manure and factories, respectively). My neighborhood, in the morning, smells like wet grass and dew. When I walk past my garden, the overwhelming smell of tomato plants greets me. As I get around the block, I smell grills or fires in the evenings.

· Registered
43 Posts
Last winter, almost freezing, one house had a wonderful smell of hot chocolate! I pass some cherry trees, apple and pear trees and the quite stinky bradford pears (my girls call them the dead fish trees when they flower). Last month the lilacs were in full bloom.
John

· Registered
21,863 Posts
Dead animals

YuriB said:
I ride through many different areas on my ride to work. One area always smells of bacon and eggs, another smells like chorizo. This morning I went thru an area heavy with older renters and all I could smell was old carpet and cat pee.
We ride in the country a lot, so the smell of decaying animals is pretty common: deer, skunks, racoons, possum, turkeys, etc. They all smell the same! Lately we've been getting a lot of rain, so the ditches are getting that rotting organic matter smell. In town, it's cut grass, the odd cooking smells, dryer sheets when someone's doing the laundry, and all too frequently somebody's overly heavy perfume smell wafting out a car window. Can't these people recognize how strong that smell is?

· Registered
11,227 Posts
pleasant: food on the grill, the chick down the street that wears stripper perfume, the occasional whiff of spliff

funky: decomposing road kill, cigarette smoke (gawd, that crap reeks even outdoors), diesel exhaust, ligustrums in bloom (sickeningly sweet, gag), garbage bins on trash day, strange cooking fumes (boiled cabbage? you're gonna EAT that...?)

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
In the morning, I don't smell anything other than an occasional garbage truck if I get too close to it. In the evening, I smell various food smells on the middle part of my ride that passes a Chinese restaurant, various fast food chains and two Indian restaurants (in that order). It seems like the smells are strongest when I am hungry,

· Registered
486 Posts
fresh corn masa from the tortillerias
Mexican & Central Am. sweet bread being baked
catering truck smell-chorizo, fried tortilla
awesome smoky smell that emanates from "People's Sausage Company" downtown
trash trucks
piggy death smell from Farmer John plant
perfume from the crossing guard
fresh orange smell from the lady who sells juice on the corner
on the way home-bacon wrapped hot dogs
Probably forgot some

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.