Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at a newspaper picture of a man in a bow-tie and realized that I've never worn one, even in jest, in my entire life. I've known guys who wear them on a regular basis. Some guys seem to pull it off, but many seem self-conscious in them. I knew a guy whose boss told him to "lose the bow-tie" if he wanted a future at the firm.

So, what's the point of a bow-tie? I'm self-confident enough to wear something many people consider to be goofy looking? I want to display my individuality where everyone can see it? I'm not afraid to spill food directly on my shirt? Something else?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
The bow-tie says "moreon", ditch it if you want to have a future whatsoever. I'm serious.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
rogger said:
The bow-tie says "moreon", ditch it if you want to have a future whatsoever. I'm serious.

yep, the only thing that screams asshat louder than a bowtie is one of these:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mickey-mac said:
I was just looking at a newspaper picture of a man in a bow-tie and realized that I've never worn one, even in jest, in my entire life. I've known guys who wear them on a regular basis. Some guys seem to pull it off, but many seem self-conscious in them. I knew a guy whose boss told him to "lose the bow-tie" if he wanted a future at the firm.

So, what's the point of a bow-tie? I'm self-confident enough to wear something many people consider to be goofy looking? I want to display my individuality where everyone can see it? I'm not afraid to spill food directly on my shirt? Something else?
Bow tie...for tuxedos only. On a suit or by itself it just says dork or fashion challenged.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i used to wear one waiting tables. many different ones, in fact. they say "tip me, i'm a idiot".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Only if it spins.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
A bow-tie says, "I can't be trusted not to try to hang myself if I'm wearing a long tie."

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
When I was a juror, the DA wore a bowtie. He also rode a bike - so I guess he was a double dork, eh?:D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
snapdragen said:
When I was a juror, the DA wore a bowtie. He also rode a bike - so I guess he was a double dork, eh?:D
was he pee wee herman?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Only thing worse than a bowtie is a string-tie.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Only thing worse than a bowtie is a string-tie.
Now, now. That's a BOLO tie. And it is the official neckwear of the State of Arizona.

Actually, it is too bad that Az is losing some of its polyester cowboy origins. I grew up there and was taught by many a teacher in polyester western wear. I have warm fuzzy feelings for bolo ties.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jtolleson said:
Now, now. That's a BOLO tie. And it is the official neckwear of the State of Arizona.

Actually, it is too bad that Az is losing some of its polyester cowboy origins. I grew up there and was taught by many a teacher in polyester western wear. I have warm fuzzy feelings for bolo ties.
I went to law school at ASU and quickly realized that about 90% of the short-sleeve dress shirts in the country are worn in Arizona, often with the bolo tie.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Don't do it

I have two bow ties (other than the black one that goes with my tuxedo). I wore a bow tie maybe 10 times during the early days of my career; several years after I last had worn a bow tie, my character in a skit at the firm's annual retreat/roast was wearing an oversized bow tie. That should give you some idea what happens to guys who wear bowties.

Now, if you don't heed my advice and leave the bow tie at home, at least do not do what an opponent of mine did several years ago. The judge in our case always wore a bow tie. So, one day Mr. Opponent showed up for a hearing wearing a bow tie. It was clear that the judge (correctly) thought that Mr. Opponent was trying to curry favor with the judge with his attire. The judge was not amused. The judge, who usually was very mild mannered and polite to counsel, used a very minor mistake by my opponent to rip him a new @sshole -- and I swear that the judge was staring at the bow tie the whole time.

Finally, if you really insist on wearing a bow tie, make sure that it is a REAL one. No clip ons or other fake bow ties.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i'm wearing a bolo tie and boots right now. and that's all. ;)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
mickey-mac said:
I went to law school at ASU and quickly realized that about 90% of the short-sleeve dress shirts in the country are worn in Arizona, often with the bolo tie.

Oh, yeah. That's quite a look! There's usually a damn big belt buckle involved, too.

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
post a pix or yu ain't tellin the truth, beotch.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
A bow tie shouts to the world that you're a Don't Give a Damn Fuddy-Duddy. I kind of dig them in my own peculiar way. They're so amazingly square they're rebellious.

BTW, last Saturday night at a very hip Silverlake eatery, I saw a guy wearing a short, sternum-mid-belly length necktie of a type that hasn't been seen since Laurel & Hardy and the 1920's. The next big thing? Will we all be wearing them a couple years down the road?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts