Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
what kind of stupid nonsense is that?

Search for a zillion threads on the matter -- a pound is a pound, at least comparing the bike to the rider.

Rotational is sorta different; I won't pull the science game but the rule o' thumb is 2:1.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
just the opposite, I think

BATMAN said:
i heard that for every unit of weight on the bike it's equal to adding 4lbs to you.

for the rotational mass it's more like 8:1

any truth to this?
Taking weight off your body is better than taking weight off your bike. You have to support your body weight, pump blood through it, cool it, and move it. Almost all of us have much more potential to reduce body weight than bike weight. My performance would go up more if I lost 5 lbs than it would if I got a bike that was 5 lbs lighter. Reducing bike weight below about 20 lbs is really a bunch of nonsense for almost all riders.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
That is truth - when I dropped 60 pounds riding the bike was a much more enjoyable
experience all the way around. I changed nothing on the bike but changing me
vastly improved everything, average speed, maximum speeds, etc.

Now, if you've already gotten to a decently low weight but are still riding with cast
iron skillets attached to your wheelset you might seek out other options.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
That is truth - when I dropped 60 pounds riding the bike was a much more enjoyable
lmao!
I should put my glasses on. I thought that said "60 pounds from the bike." Man, I don't think even DH bikes are 60 pounds!
-estone2

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Argentius said:
Yeah, even those solid iron things that they had in the '20s were about 55 pounds.
heh. train on one of those suckers, then switch to a CF wonderbike for bike races.
imagine the speed... and the placebo effect too...
-estone2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.