Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
11,561 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
OK, so I know he commentates for the TDF, but what else does he do? Anybody know? Did he make enuf from his cycling career to kick back and relax like Lance?
I can't imagine given the level he achieved and when he was racing that he made even all that good of an income at the time. I imagine he's made his living as a journalist and commentator for the last decade or so.

· Registered
344 Posts
mohair_chair said:
He's Bob Roll. That's what he does for a living.
Saw an interview a while back with k.d. lang where she mentioned that it kinda sucks when you're famous, but don't really make that much money. I wonder if that's not the situation Bob Roll is in?

· Registered
2,342 Posts
He's an <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-1330285-7994423?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Bob%20Roll">author</a> in addition to what's already been covered. where's he living now, wyoming? housing's got to be cheap out there. probably just works when he needs the $ or when there's a bike race in France he wants to see.

· Registered
960 Posts
Bob's got no worries... He's a loved/hated figure in American Cycling...
Even if he's dirt poor... He can show to ANY group ride in the country and get a free meal and a place to crash for the night.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I bet the summer gig with OLN covers his roof and beans for most of the year. He also does speaking engagements, probably doesn't make a lot from those but it covers expenses + a little income. Add on some writing and random endorsements, I bet he makes a comfy living, better than working in a bike shop but not quite as nice as our boy Lance.

OTOH, I've seen that Phil Ligget is a multi-millionaire now, so maybe Bob's doing well also.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,356 Posts
ajoc_prez said:
OK, so I know he commentates for the TDF, but what else does he do? Anybody know? Did he make enuf from his cycling career to kick back and relax like Lance?
He's a consultant.

He goes around and teaches people every SINGLE way to murder the French language.

· Registered
458 Posts
Speaking of language

He goes around and teaches people every SINGLE way to murder the French language.[/QUOTE]

It's funny you mention that. My wife is extremely pissed that it seems Bobke has learned how to pronounce names, places, and landmarks in France. I don't know if it was part of a Vs. agreement that allows him to do commentary for the full night show, but he sure seems to have improved his language skills.

I haven't heard "Tour day France" one time this year. Come to think of it, I'm kinda angry that he doesn't screw it up; it's part of his personality.

-Smarty

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
smartyiak said:
He goes around and teaches people every SINGLE way to murder the French language.
It's funny you mention that. My wife is extremely pissed that it seems Bobke has learned how to pronounce names, places, and landmarks in France. I don't know if it was part of a Vs. agreement that allows him to do commentary for the full night show, but he sure seems to have improved his language skills.

I haven't heard "Tour day France" one time this year. Come to think of it, I'm kinda angry that he doesn't screw it up; it's part of his personality.

-Smarty[/QUOTE]

He's pretty good in Dutch/Flemish, and French as well. I'm betting he was able to pronounce all those place names pretty well before most other Americans had even heard of them.

I did do a double take when I caught the primetime coverage the other night and heard "tour duh frahnce" come out of his mouth. You're right; it's like KISS without the makeup.

· Registered
458 Posts
That's what bothers me

I was only kiding about the grammar improvement. I always knew (assumed) that he could pronounce French correctly and used his "bobkeisms" on purpose. It seemed like it was his way of taking a stab at the "seriousness" of bike racing. (I mean it is bike racing after all).

It was part of his personality and I always snickered a little when he said things like Tour day France.

-Smarty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.