Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
thrmaln said:
Does it mean it is a tubeless wheel like on Mountain bikes.

Marc Webster
Not exactly...

A clincher tire uses a wire or aramid fiber bead to engage the hook of a clincher rim... and while current MTB tubeless technology does the same... it uses a couple of proprietary tricks to create an airtight seal without the need for an inner tube. The vast majority of clincher rims on the road and trail today are still clinchers with innertubes.

Tubular tires use a rim without a hook and are glued to the rim... said glue and inflation pressure work to keep the tire in place... almost all tubular tires use an inner tube that is sewn inside the casing (thus the term sewup is also used to describe a tubular). One notable exception is the Tufo tubular clincher... which is essentially a sewup with a bead that engages a clincher rim's hook.

While there is a bit of a weight penalty associated with tubeless technology... in some form or another, it'll probably be tried on a road rim (already on cross country and of course, MTB... where pinch flats are a concern... I believe that MAVIC has already demonstrated a tubeless road rim) because it represents a market share... but 'tween current tubular and clincher technology... I'll stick with tubes (ironically, while tubeless technology has ruled on America's automotive roadways for decades... NASCAR requires an innertube for safety reasons). I'm not interested in scrapping 10 years worth of clincher and tubular wheels for the next big thing.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Not quite:

Akirasho said:
.....One notable exception is the Tufo tubular clincher... which is essentially a sewup with a bead that engages a clincher rim's hook.
No. Tufo tires have no thread, therefore, are not "sewups"

Akirasho said:
.....NASCAR requires an innertube for safety reasons).
NASCAR is likely to use tubes only because of tradition. They still race in steel wheels, they still use a differential that's out of a late 60's Lincoln, and the cars are all front-engine, rear-drive. NASCAR is essentially a bunch of luddites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts