Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,435 Posts
I cycle for fun, fitness and to enjoy exercise in the outdoors. That's not to say I don't challenge myself though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Originally it was fun, then it became transportation and morphed back into fun. Since then it has been both plus health benefits now that I am fighting cancer. Each pedal stroke is another punch to the cancer, and even my oncologist sees the benefits that cycling brings to might fight against the disease. But its still fun, even the indoor training now that Zwift is on the scene, although I sometimes ride with a bit of chemo brain to fog up the mental side of the ride.

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Bike go fast, smile get big, food tastes a bit better and I can eat more of it.

Reactions: Fredrico and ogre

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
For fun. Training, commuting, competing, are just variations of fun so it's easy to summarize as just saying for fun.

If I wanted train and have that separate from fun I'd take up running.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
I love to ride a bike, but when it is not very hot and not cold, so that it is comfortable to ride. This is a great cardio exercise, so it's best done when the weather is comfortable.
fair weather rider, huh...I've been out in temps from 17F to 112F...it's all good.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,435 Posts
fair weather rider, huh...I've been out in temps from 17F to 112F...it's all good.
Uphill both ways with no shoes too, right?

Reactions: thatsmybush and xxl

·
Registered
31 Posts
Challenge: Myself for fitness; denying dogs that chase me.

Humor: All the goofy motorists and their antics. I will say at least they have not injured me but....

·
Registered
1 Posts
winter explosion, frustration resolver, fat/whiskey/beer burning, staying in shape, cross country ski alternative, etc. rode a mountain bike a lot on a trail in local county/state parks over 2" to 3" of snow this past winter. funner than hot, sweat summer riding for me.

·
Registered
27,350 Posts
Riding kept my cardio in shape well into old age, the immune system strong, and I heal quickly from injuries. I can also pull on my pants standing up!

If the destination is less than 5 miles away, I use the bike, primarily to get groceries. Chasing game is an ancient art humans are well adapted to. The bike is the perfect tool. When everything clicks in, and I've got it down after 40 years of practice, I'm 100% alive. Nothing else compares.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,435 Posts
Chasing game is an ancient art humans are well adapted to. The bike is the perfect tool. When everything clicks in, and I've got it down after 40 years of practice, I'm 100% alive. Nothing else compares.
Chasing game? Is this the bike you use? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts

The article fails to mention a big downside to hunting on a bike - if you are successful and manage to bag something big like a deer, how are you going to get it home?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,435 Posts
The article fails to mention a big downside to hunting on a bike - if you are successful and manage to bag something big like a deer, how are you going to get it home?
Good point. I guess it would be more useful for grouse hunting. For something big, presumably your pickup truck would not be too far away. The bike would get you where a motor vehicle couldn't go.

·
Registered
27,350 Posts

Awesome. I like the bow and arrows! Stealthy and sporting, like the bike. Also lighter than a rifle or AR-15 with a bunch of lead bullets!

Well, every time I make a run to Safeway, I'm literally chasing down a meal. Oral gratification is a sure motivator for the species. I see some guy looking good a mile ahead and see how long it takes to catch them. If I don't catch them, usually on a hill, or they pull away, it tells me the awful truth! Or establishes my position in the pecking order.

When I'm going at a good clip slightly faster than the other traffic, some rider will come up behind me panting like mad, pass very quickly, then slow down to recover. The fit riders just keep on going. Once warmed up and feeling good, the game is irresistible! It's buried deep within the genes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts