Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done several centuries and longer and keep waiting to learn what SAGS stands for, but it still alludes me. Can someone help? I did a double century day before yesterday and these people saved my tail with water a couple of times. Got to love those volunteers.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
vontress said:
I've done several centuries and longer and keep waiting to learn what SAGS stands for, but it still alludes me. Can someone help? I did a double century day before yesterday and these people saved my tail with water a couple of times. Got to love those volunteers.
support and gear

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right that is unusual. I was definitly SAGGING. I tossed it around for while on the ride with nothing but time to pass. I would never have guessed it though. Thanks, now I know.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
The best I have heard was from the WWI troop supply wagons were called Support And Grub wagons or SAG wagons. - TF

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
vontress, you may also hear it called "the broom wagon." I trust you can puzzle that one out without any help. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
The best I have heard was from the WWI troop supply wagons were called Support And Grub wagons or SAG wagons. - TF
An old timer that organizes/runs bike tours in the Midwest told me the term originated during the Civil War. SAG stands for Socks And Grub. He's a history buff and said during war times, a clean/dry pair of socks were worth their weight in gold.

I've tried to verify this, but can't find anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.