Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'SL' seems to be tagged onto the end of a lot of component and bike names.

Here's a few of them:

Specialized Tarmac SL4
Cannondale Si SL Crankset
Pacenti SL23 Rims
Zipp SL handlebars and stems
Shimano Ultegra 6700 SL pedals

The list could go on and on...

Can somebody put me out of my misery? What does the SL stand for?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,673 Posts
More late alphabet consonants automatically make a bike faster.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Italian. "Superleggera" means, yes "super light." As far as I know the earliest bike use of the term was for Columbus SL tubing starting back in the 60's (still made, AFAIK). As you note, the term has since been applied to many things.

Sheldon Brown may have carried it to a logical extreme.
Sheldon Brown's Commercial Products

·
Super Moderator
41,375 Posts
Italian. "Superleggera" means, yes "super light." As far as I know the earliest bike use of the term was for Columbus SL tubing starting back in the 60's (still made, AFAIK). As you note, the term has since been applied to many things.

Sheldon Brown may have carried it to a logical extreme.
Sheldon Brown's Commercial Products
Thanks, you guys; of course it stands for "Superleggera," and not "Superlight."

To paraphrase Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez, if you're going to pose, pose, don't talk!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes, but Superleggera is Super Light. Super Light is just more honest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SL means . . .

Here's a few of them:

Specialized Tarmac SL4
Pacenti SL23 Rims

All my SL stuff means SLow.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts

Here's a few of them:

Specialized Tarmac SL4
Pacenti SL23 Rims

You forgot SE, SEL, SEi, SX, GL, GX, GT, GTO, SPD, BVD, etc. The world is your oyster.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You forgot SE, SEL, SEi, SX, GL, GX, GT, GTO, SPD, BVD, etc. The world is your oyster.
LBJ took the IRT down to Twelfth Street, USA. And when he got there, what did he see? The youth of America on LSD.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,673 Posts
You left out the XXX Olympiad as NBC dubbed it. And the smuttiest Olympiad to date.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sometimes you see SLX for when there is a third generation of light weight technology.
Columbus SLX tubing had helical reinforcements inside in addition to the butting, supposedly to provide more rigidity without additional weight.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am pretty sure it stands for Serious Liability. Any carbon bike that carries the SL label was made using less carbon fibers to save weight and could explode at any time during a ride. Be careful to not use any SL carbon frame in direct sun light as it may cause the little carbon that was used to deteriorate faster. When the inevitable JRA event does take place the Manufacturing Co has the right to blame the failure on the customer for any reason they choose at the time and is not required to honor any warranty, lift time or other wise.

I think it means something else when talking about frames made from metal. I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.