Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very weird and somewhat dark dream last night/this morning.

I dreamt I was ill and in the hospital, with cancer IIRC perhaps. Then, I had a pretty bad spell where everything sucked so horribly and my mom was visibly worried. After that phase passed, I was mobile, albeit, in a weakened state but somehow, I managed to end up somewhere, where an old friend of mine was at, and talking to some of her friends.

There, we were kinda on a bridge it seems - metallic scaffolding is more like it though and there wasn't any guardrails to keep anyone from falling off. To make matters seem even more perplexing, it was kinda like in an old warehouse where there were some large shipping containers around. The whole aura was dark - dimly lit, orange glow and almost eerie I must say.

On the bridge, I, was crawling up towards my friend to join in the conversation when all of a sudden, I broke into somewhat of a fit, or seizure perhaps, although, both are kinda the same. I became really weak and was trembling all over. My friend and her friends rushed towards me. Then, I almost fell off the structure. They tried to hold me and haul me up, to no avail. I was flailing, and almost certain that my time had come. Two people managed to pull me up but then, I slipped yet again and somehow, managed to grip onto the edge of the scaffolding to stop my plummet.

Then, by some miracle, I was back up and my friend, who is a doctor (in real life) told me that my condition was getting worse and my mom came into the scene. I told her "No, I'm not going to get better. I'm dying mom. Face it."

She was visibly mortified as she then pushed me around the hospital on somewhat of a wheelchair-like device that was more modern than I ever saw. I told her of my last wishes - that she lived a happy life, that she kept on going, do the things she love and enjoy life. Don't mourn me.

I told her to give my things away, or do whatever she wanted with them because it doesn't matter to me. Then, we went past a room where for some reason, my grandma was in there and she was in a critical condition too, on life support from what I managed to gather. It felt odd at that moment and I was upset that she was going away as well.

Then, I told my mom to tell my dad I was sorry and to also tell a few of my friends that I'm gone, when I'm gone. I really felt like I was about to die in just a matter of hours, or less even. I could feel my breathing shorten, my breaths getting deeper, heavier and harder with each inhale and exhale. My thoughts ran wilder and I became more scared. I almost cried when I thought of the fact that I'd never know what it's like to be with someone I love, or have a family.

And, then I woke up. It seems a little odd to me, both really eye opening and scary at the same time.

Is there anything to such a vivid dream or is it just that, a dream?

Thanks for reading etc etc.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I am no help in interpreting, but I agree it sounds very vivid and frightening.

I'd suggest you look up dream interpretations online or get a book from the library. Although, with so many different aspects to your dream, you might have to focus on just one or two major themes instead of trying to pick apart every little detail.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The big symbols I see are Death, The Bridge, and Mother. I am guessing that you are in the middle of some big transition and you have to let go of certain things as a result. Are you moving or changing careers?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rolando said:
The big symbols I see are Death, The Bridge, and Mother. I am guessing that you are in the middle of some big transition and you have to let go of certain things as a result. Are you moving or changing careers?
Well, I'm still in college, so no.

I'm not packing it all up and heading back to OC so no on the move either.

Although, hmm. Just kinda weird I guess.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Somebody once told me that it's not the symbolism in a dream that counts, but the feelings. Focus on the people and the feelings you were having around/about them.

For example, I told her about a dream where my father and I were in the ocean, not far from the shoreline at the beach. The water was turbulent, and we were bobbing up and down on large (but smooth) waves. I was concerned that we wouldn't make it back to shore, as it wasn't easy to swim or stay afloat.

At the time, I was living on my own, but concerned about the family situation and finances in general (parents are separated; dad's long-time GF has two grown kids herself.) She asked about what was going on in my life and his, and suddenly it made sense!

As for your dream, definitely more complex, but try the same approach: What's been going on lately in your family? How does your friend fit in? Although dark, you were keeping a great attitude at the "end" and made death seem like not such a big deal!

Or maybe you just saw a movie or TV show with a similar plot line- I've dreamt about that before. :p

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Christine said:
Somebody once told me that it's not the symbolism in a dream that counts, but the feelings. Focus on the people and the feelings you were having around/about them.

For example, I told her about a dream where my father and I were in the ocean, not far from the shoreline at the beach. The water was turbulent, and we were bobbing up and down on large (but smooth) waves. I was concerned that we wouldn't make it back to shore, as it wasn't easy to swim or stay afloat.

At the time, I was living on my own, but concerned about the family situation and finances in general (parents are separated; dad's long-time GF has two grown kids herself.) She asked about what was going on in my life and his, and suddenly it made sense!

As for your dream, definitely more complex, but try the same approach: What's been going on lately in your family? How does your friend fit in? Although dark, you were keeping a great attitude at the "end" and made death seem like not such a big deal!

Or maybe you just saw a movie or TV show with a similar plot line- I've dreamt about that before. :p
Hmm... Well, for starters, Nothing's really been going on in my family at all. I mean, my grandma is a little weaker than she was some months back, but that's normal IMO.

And, my friend, well, she's just an old friend, who's a doctor now. Nothing to it at all. She was one of my best friend's ex girlfriend but it doesn't make any connection with the context of how I saw her talking to some other people.

Oh, I was really upset at the 'end' as I really wanted some people to know, and, I really wanted a particular person to be told of the news I suppose.

Tv- I haven't watched tv in a very long time, other than recorded episodes of American Idol and last season's episodes of The Amazing Race.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
It means you are gonna give your bike to Bigrider.

I used to have vivid dreams like that when I was younger but don't have them anymore.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't fit a 54cm bike buddy. Of course, you'd probably hand it over to your daughter I guess.

Does this mean I get a custom new Madone in a one of a kind color scheme too ala Lance?

Well, I'm done thinking about this dream just coz it's just that perhaps. Just one of the much stranger and more vivid ones for sure. Oh and, very dark too.

Give me my 'Uzzie platoon commander' war dream where I go out and shoot others again anytime. Those were fun.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
It's definitely hard to shake when a dream is so realistic and intense. A couple of times, I was really pissed off at my sister for stuff she did to me in my dream. Wouldn't tell her, though!

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
you might not have anything COMING UP, but didnt you just have a whirlwind holiday/tour and didnt wanna go back?

sounds to me like you are just struggling with getting a bit older and being left behind by your friends. or at least there is emotional distance being created somehow. and, while you might not know it, you probably need to let people close to you know how you feel about them. the fact YOU are dying in your dream makes you realize you will not always have those you care about around you. i have been struggling through this issue with my dad. i need to let him know the impact he has had on my life, even though the family had some financial and health hard times.

freud says you should go out and grab a $5 foot long for lunch.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
I didnt read it, but it violates one of Bent's Rules.

Never tell anyone your dreams. They are ALL effed up. They only mean what you want them to mean, and they do not predict the future.

HTH :thumbsup:

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
uzziefly said:
You can't fit a 54cm bike buddy. Of course, you'd probably hand it over to your daughter I guess.

I would strip that thing down quicker than a broken down Escalade on the Bronx Expressway.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
weltyed said:
you might not have anything COMING UP, but didnt you just have a whirlwind holiday/tour and didnt wanna go back?

sounds to me like you are just struggling with getting a bit older and being left behind by your friends. or at least there is emotional distance being created somehow. and, while you might not know it, you probably need to let people close to you know how you feel about them. the fact YOU are dying in your dream makes you realize you will not always have those you care about around you. i have been struggling through this issue with my dad. i need to let him know the impact he has had on my life, even though the family had some financial and health hard times.

freud says you should go out and grab a $5 foot long for lunch.
True.

Perhaps you are right. But, I'm not really struggling with getting older actually. As for being left behind, I don't know about that. Well, I mean, many people are busy with their own things so that's a given.

Then again, like BentChainring the rocket scientist says, it's just a freakin dream. I just thought it was kinda odd that it was this vivid and dark all at the same time.

Then again, when I dreamt I was in a war with my platoon, that felt real too, albeit, pretty cool.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I dreamed I got to meet Michael Ball last night. He was a nice guy.

I always seem to dream about riding / racing before a race weekend. Duh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts