Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Depends . . .

Bacco said:
I plan to buy a Trico or Performance bike travel case. I was wondering, besides your bike, what else can you safety stow in there - helmet, shoes, clothes, tools, etc.?
I have a Trico. I used to pack some bike clothes, shoes and tools with my bike and I had no problems. I never tried stowing a helmet in the case; I do not think that it would fit. HOWEVER, now that all luggage is being inspected by the TSA, I would suggest that you keep non-bike stuff in the case to a minimum. A Trico cannot fit through the x-ray equipment that is used to scan most luggage. Thus, the TSA has to hand-inspect a Trico. At most airports, the inspection occurs near the baggage check-in and you can watch it (but do not get near it or try to touch it even if the TSA person is having problems -- you may end up in the airport lockup). The first time I witnessed a hand inspection of my Trico, I had all of the usual stuff (clothes, shoes, etc) in there with my bike. Not only did the inspection take a long time, but my stuff was all over the inspection area and the TSA inspector was not in a good mood. Needless to say, the repacking of my bike made me cringe. Now that I keep the stuff in the Trico to a minimum, the inspections have gone much more quickly and the inspectors have been more respectful of my bike and more careful about repacking.

·
Endorphin Junkie
203 Posts
And then there's the weight limit...

if you're flying. Because of the ever-expanding American waistline, the average passenger weight the airlines use to calculate their flying load went up. To keep things even, the allowable baggage weight went down. The current limit of many airlines is now 50# per bag, instead of 60#. At least this is what I was told by an airline employee when I flew out to NM last August. A nice light road bike might not be a problem, but I actually had to take a few parts of my mtb out of the bike case (PedalPack Compact case) and out them in my other check-through to get down to 49.5#.

Kathy

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Light items only..

and I would not pack your helmet (won't fit right) or any tools that can slam around and damage your bike. Stick with a few clothes in plastic bags which serve the purpose of packing and reduce movement of the bike parts against each other.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Trico for m

Per the other posts, I use my carry-on for the helmet.

I fit the frame, wheelset, saddle, post, pedals, etc...(normal stuff) into the Trico. If I throw in other stuff like tools, I'll wrap them in a rag and stow them in a plastic bag. That way, if they move around (unlikely), then nothing will be hurt.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sci-Con Travel Bag

Bacco said:
I plan to buy a Trico or Performance bike travel case. I was wondering, besides your bike, what else can you safety stow in there - helmet, shoes, clothes, tools, etc.?
I just got back from a trip to New Zealand for which I bought the Sci-con bike case. It was super easy to use, just remove the handlebars and wheels and the bike is ready to be put into the case. The bag has a soft shell, but there seems to be plenty of padding. Total weight with bike, helmet, shoes, bike clothing, case of Power Bars was around forty pounds. And there is room for a lot more if one would want.The bag has a strap that can be easily thrown over your shoulder to carry it. it has casters and is fairly easy to manage, though you'll need an extra large trunk or wagon to get it to the airport.
I only got charged one way in the states for it. And I think if it weren't for the word "Bike" on the side it would have probably made it through both times. It was of course opened and searched as it couldn't be placed through the machine. It didn't seem to bother anyone, and nothing was damaged. I bought it online at Tour de france, don't have the adress handy, but they were the cheapest- $275.00
Oh yeah, New Zealand was great. Once I figure out how to post photos I'll give a report.

Bob

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Buy the Trico two bike one. It's nice to have the extra room!

I throw all my dirty clothes in there for the ride home....and on the ride there, I throw a bunch of stuff wrapped up CAREFULLY to save on luggage space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.