Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're a month away from the 24 hours of booty and we're considering spending a few days in Atlanta following the ride for a little getaway for the two of us. It looks like we've got the museum of art & the aquarium already on the list. And I'm sure we'll hit underground Atlanta as well. We may stop in Charlotte for a day or two to visit the Mint Museum of Art on the way home. Any other suggestions from you folks in the big city? What say ye the TCons and the Newly Engaged among others?

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I've been through that airport 800 times and never been able to enjoy a night out on the town.

So, no. I got nothin.

First.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The Coca Cola museum is pretty interesting-- I was very pleasantly surprised.

Find an Ethiopian restaurant, if you are in to that kind of thing. There are some good ones in Atlanta-- best outside of DC I am told (never been to DC for ET food). I can vouch for Enat and Queen of Sheba. both are north of town off I-85.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Think you about covered your options with Limoncello there Vaughn.

·
Registered
544 Posts
well, the falcons play the 49-ers and the braves play the phillies on Sunday... not too sure how much of that you'll be up to... There's always the silver comet trail where you can ride and not worry about getting lost... but you do have to turn around...

Of course, there is Stone Mnt lazer show; dont' knwo if you'll be able to see it while you're bike riding...

Chateau elan is a winery resort just north of Altanta

Gotta hit The Varsity.

www.accessatlanta.com

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another vote for Asheville over Charlotte. Nothing against Charlotte, but the Biltmore Estate is beautiful and there is also good hiking around that area.

My brother lives in ATL, but it sounds like you already have all the things I was going to suggest on your list.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Asheville is definitely an awesome place, but it's a pretty long drive from Atlanta, not a day trip IMO. Then again, I'd rather spend all two of my days there than in Atlanta :)

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've been to Asheville. We're going to visit our Aunt & Uncle as well, what about along 85 towards Charlotte? That's our route to and from unless we hit 75 to visit relatives in Knoxville.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
You could stop in Dahlonega/Elijay/Blue Ridge. There is good mountain biking there, or you could visit Amicalola Falls, or Helen if you're feeling touristy. I really like the NGA mountains.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,159 Posts
Sit in traffic.

·
Armchair Director Sportif
134 Posts
food and such

Gotta hit the Varsity, an Atl staple. Fat Matt's Rib Shack and the Vortex are also must visits.

The High Museum of Art is usually a good place to swing through.

Just my 2 cents.

STinGa

·
Registered
36 Posts
STinGa said:
Gotta hit the Varsity, an Atl staple. Fat Matt's Rib Shack and the Vortex are also must visits.

The High Museum of Art is usually a good place to swing through.

Just my 2 cents.

STinGa
There's a Dali exhibit going on right now at the High. We're planning to go sometime soon ourselves.

·
Registered
689 Posts
wooglin said:
I recently heard that the #2 bbq joint in the country is Fox Bros, which is somewhere in Decatur I think.
+1

Excellent Texas bbq. In fact, it's their side dishes that really make you happy. Mac and cheese has never tasted so good.

While you're heading that way (MARTA can be your transport for all of this), check out Decatur's Marlay House - it's kind of Atlanta's 'cycling pub'. Awesome beers on tap, a fine patio and lotsa racing pix on the walls.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Jim311 said:
You could stop in Dahlonega/Elijay/Blue Ridge. There is good mountain biking there, or you could visit Amicalola Falls, or Helen if you're feeling touristy. I really like the NGA mountains.
My in-laws have a cabin in Blairsville. I agree NGA mountains are very nice and Dahlonega and Helen are worthwhile tourist stops.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts