Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to rent a car in Munich and drive to Austria then to the Dolomites to see some of the Giro. Does anyone have any idea as to what car I would be able to rent that would fit 2 bike boxes? How big is a Ford Mondeno?
Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Jamieskitele said:
I am going to rent a car in Munich and drive to Austria then to the Dolomites to see some of the Giro. Does anyone have any idea as to what car I would be able to rent that would fit 2 bike boxes? How big is a Ford Mondeno?
Thanks,
Jamie
A mondeo should be fine- wagon that is. It will probably be a manual.

The Mondeo is German-built (and about the nicest Ford I have ever seen), and almost as large as a 5-series BMW wagon (which I assure you would work, as ours easily fits two bikes in ours). A toyota Avensis is another car in that class unavailable in the US.

Double check that you can drive it to Italy- there are some models that cannot be driven into some specific countries. I doubt it is a problem if you head that direction. Also, if you have never rented a car in Germany, they will usually have a team inspect the car for new damage when you return it- unlike in the US.

There are some mini-van options that might not work, like the VW Touran or a Mazda 5. I know Hertz Germany rents them, but they are much smaller than a US minivan- despite being able to hold six passengers-- so don't be fooled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jamieskitele said:
Thanks,
Jamie
Ford Mondeo is one of the roomier estates (per luggage space) available in Europe, maybe Opel Vectras and E-class Mercs are about as roomy. Most of the current estates for Europe have quite small luggage space so check that you really can put in the bike boxes.
Other option is to rent one the bigger minivans (like VW Caravelle or Sharan, Ford Transit, Renault Grand Espace) if you like to have more room (think hitchikers ;) ) instead of speed on the autobahn.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Jamieskitele said:
Thanks,
Jamie
Man! I thought your headline meant, "What eurocar will fit into 2 bike boxes?" I was thinking one of these.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Jamieskitele said:
Thanks,
Jamie
Do you want the bikes in the boxes or will they be out? If the bikes will be out then check the crateworks boxes with the bikes out they go completely flat.

www.crateworks.com

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you have a wagon and two bike boxes, you may be able to cut the boxes and put them underneath all your gear. You can re tape them when you fly back.

Or you could just get two new boxes when you fly back.

Dont expect to be constantly putting your bikes back into the boxes, then reassembling them every time you want to ride. It will drive you crazy.

I had a Ford Focus wagon, one bike, and 6 months worth of gear, and it was a tight squeeze.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We used a Renault Modus. It can hold bike boxes -- but sure doesn't look like it from the outside. ;)

When you get there, test it out. The rental car agencies have an assortment of vehicles and if what they give you doesn't work -- ask for another. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to get my bike in the car -- but I tried and it fit. We did like the little car for negotaiting the narrow streets in Switzerland and Germany.

mbb

·
naranjito
785 Posts
small car?

i can fit two bikes, two people, and all the gear for a week or longer in my focus. not sure about the bikes being in boxes though.

I always remember the time some american friends of my parents came over to stay - they'd hired a car to get around and were driving to our place from wherever they'd stayed the night before. over the phone, my mum asked them what car the had hired, so that we could look out for them around the village at the time they were due to arrive... a "small grey car" was the one they had (no make, model or anything was given). so we were at home, looking out for a ford fiesta, renault clio, peugeot 206 or similar, and they turned up in a mondeo, one of the largest cars available in the UK... they'd probably driven past our house a few times and we hadn't even noticed, as we were looking for a small car. american 'small' and european 'small' are two totally different concepts!

foz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.