Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tire blew tonight 10 minutes after finishing a ride, with the bike laying on its side in the back of my car. What the hey explains this? The explosion was loud. There was obviously a lot of pressure in the tube.

Before the 20+ mile ride, I inflated the tire to the 118 lbs., which is what I normally do.

Thoughts?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Blowout

vilter said:
My tire blew tonight 10 minutes after finishing a ride, with the bike laying on its side in the back of my car. What the hey explains this? The explosion was loud. There was obviously a lot of pressure in the tube.

Before the 20+ mile ride, I inflated the tire to the 118 lbs., which is what I normally do.

Thoughts?
Did the tire sidewall fail? If not, then the likelihood is that the tire was not properly mounted on the rim and a bit of the tube was caught under the tire bead. With riding, this bit of tube slowly worked it's way under the bead until it was able to escape and so explode with a bang. It's amazing how long a mounted tire can hold in a tube like this - sometimes for days. It if was a sidewall failure, then you probably hit something that cut a number of casing threads and the tube protruded through the cut over time. You need to inspect the tire to know.

· sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Assuming it didn't hit something sharp inside the car, you had a damaged/defective tire or the tire wasn't properly mounted.

As to why it blew when you weren't riding, how hot was the interior of the car? Even 10 minutes sitting in the full sun of a closed car can raise the temperature several degrees. Apparently that tire just needed a slight trigger to go...

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I like to attribute such mysterious explosive flats to an angry deity of your choosing. So go pray, meditate or sacrifice a goat to whatever deity you worship to prevent such happenings in the future.
Or it could have just been an improperly mounted tire where the tube worked its way under the tire as others have said. Inspect your tire, inspect your rim tape and rim and don't worry about it and be sure and not pinch your tube when you mount the tire.

· Registered
127 Posts
I did the 100 mile portion first Livestrong ride down in Portland a couple years back. I got back, put my bike on top of the car and searched out beer & food (in that order).

Got back to the car and double checked the bike was tight on top before driving off and noticed both tires were flat. Both blew holes at the valve stem. Both tubes had been on the bike for a good 1000 miles so kind of a weird place for them to blow. I had done the ride in remembrance of my mother-in-law that had died with cancer exactly one year earlier.

Cheers,
Mike

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
You probably mixed Campy and Shimano components and forgot to repent.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
vilter said:

Thoughts?
terrorists.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I've learned the hard way that if I'm gonna leave my bike in the back of my truck, which has a black rubber mat, to let some of the air out of the tires. That mat absorbs lots of heat from the sun and more than once I've gone out to get my bike after leaving it in the sun for a few hours only to find a flat tire.

· Registered
289 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
the tire was not properly mounted on the rim and a bit of the tube was caught under the tire bead.
This is the answer above.

IMHO - ignore all possibilities of heat. The heat generated on a long descent far exceeds the heat generated while the tire is sitting in any car for an hour. I'm sorry - but 160 degrees is not going to do this. Your bead was seated on top of the tube. It's a basic thing for most cyclists to learn - to check the tube and make sure the tire is not on top of it before pumping it up.

· Registered
1 Posts
If it failed at the valve stem then I think it was caused by heat. I've only had that kind of failure three times and in all cases I had kept the bike in a hot car with the tires at 110 psi. One of those times both the front and rear were flat, both failing at the valve stem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.