Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in reply to a comment made about John Kerry, but the thread became better suited to the non-cycling discussion board so I thought I would repost my message and ask about famous/infamous people you have met on the roads.

So, anybody ride with Lemond? Robin Williams? Lance? Bill Walton?

Here's my encounter with Kerry.

I'm not involved in politics, but I can tell you that John Kerry does in fact ride, and ride pretty well.

For the past several years he has participated in the Pan Mass Challenge fundraiser for the Jimmy Fund (www.pmc.org). Two years ago I was riding along at about a 19-20mph pace when a guy came up to me and asked if I would mind if he drafted me for a while. A bit later, I pulled off and let him come through to take a pull. As I was drifting back he introduced himself as John and I introduced myself. We traded pulls a few times before it dawned on me that John was actually John Kerry, the Massachusetts Senator. Pretty funny, I thought. We chatted for a while and he told me of a ride he did with Greg Lemond through Vietnam several years ago. That must have been some experience...

Anyway, Kerry rides a beautiful orange Serotta Legend Ti. His fitness was pretty good considering he probably never has much time to train. Last year I saw him repeatadly on the ride and finished in front of him by only a couple of minutes. What was amazing was the fact that this charity ride has rest stops every 20 miles or so, yet Kerry did not stop even one time. 110 miles straight through. His pace wasn't particulary fast, just steady. For the last 60 miles or so I would pass Kerry before each water stop, then pass him again after I had stopped for a few minutes... We went back and forth like this all afternoon. Kerry rode with no support or Secret Service. He was alone most of the time and really seemed to be riding for the event, and not for publicity. I wonder if he'll be able to do these sorts of rides in the future...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
About 6 or 7 years ago Kelly was making a quick run thru the USA, and shops all over the country sponsored rides with him. I signed up for the ride out of Turin in Chicago, and had a good time. They split us up into three groups. The group I was in crused along at 21-22 mph. After Kelly dropped back to the medium paced group, the Cat 1's and 2's decided to quicken the pace. It started off as a "fun" ride, and ended up as a fun ride. After the ride, we all went out for a good Irish Ale.

·
Looks fast, rides slow
266 Posts
Rode with Gary Fisher once -- he was in the Bay Area for his company's demo tour. I remember he was always off the sandle on the climb...which is rare for mountain biking.

K-Zero

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Nina Blackwood from MTV

But that was on the ski lifts at Killington in 1990. Running the singles line at bear mountain in March spring skiiing. Late in the day, I queue up and she's there with her friend (woman). Told her I used to watch her, etc. She was OK to talk with for the 4 minute or so lift ride. Not *****y or snotty at all.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I rode with Nicole Freedman 2 years ago. I wouldn't have known who she was at the time. My co-worker did and asked her a zillion questions.

She was on a recovery ride or something. I guess we wouldn't have caught her if she wasn't, but it would have been cool to see her crush my co-worker on a climb. (He was an amazing climber)

Ben

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rode with Famous folks.....?

SteveD said:
So, anybody ride with Lemond? Robin Williams? Lance? Bill Walton?
I sorta rode with Lemond....I have a picture of him passing me in a match sprint at the 1977 Nationals in Seattle...;-)

I used to work at Action Sports in Beaverton, Oregon when Bill Walton was with the Portland Trail Blazers. He bought a custom Mercian from the shop...I don't recall the size but it was BIG! He was a very big promoter of bicycling at that time as well as a great center.

Gary

·
Registered
656 Posts
me

i ride with myself, and that's all that matters. the only company i need is the voices in my head.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I rode with Lance Armstrong once. It wasn't a long ride. In fact, I really didn't ride "with" him. We were just on the same road. He passed me (imagine that!) and said, "Nice day, huh?" It was.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Howard Dean

I rode for several miles with the good doctor and his entourage while he was in Iowa trying to score votes at RAGBRAI. I got up a bit late the morning he was around due to some poor choices involving the previous nights closure and barely caught the end of his stump speech but I wanted to score my dad a "it all started with a bike path" Dean t-shirt, so off I went. I got there just in time to catch him as he was strapping on his helmet and bummed a sharpie from one of the photographers to have him sign the shirt before taking off at an easy pace for a few miles. He was neither fast, nor ridiculously slow, just a guy on a hybrid bike. I stuck with his group for a few miles, listening to him field questions pretty well for a guy pedaling a bike. I think he rode about 15 miles or so but I tired of the pace after around 5 or so and wished him luck (obviously to no avail) and took off to get some coffee.

·
a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
seriously

soulsurfer104 said:
i ride with myself, and that's all that matters. the only company i need is the voices in my head.
yeah!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rode with 1980's olympians Nelson Vails and Steve Hegg a few times - back in 1989 in the evening training rides round the Ziggurat in Laguna Hills, Orange County.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
MB1, MissM, biknben

Hey, they're famous, aren't they? :)

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Oh, and I think I rode "with" Lance a few times before. I lived near Plano in 1988-1989. I got my first real road bike and joined group rides with Richardson Bike Mart. They had some pretty big group rides. I was hanging in the back just learning the group ride routine. A guy was helping me out. I remember he said their was a fast group in the front that would drop us and he talked a little bit about some young kid that was really fast. I didn't think much of it, but when I read It's Not About the Bike, I started wondering if Lance was that kid.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Greg Lemond, Gary Fisher. Regular guys that ended up racing for the Trek Factory team.

Lemond is awesome- he's umm a bit round now, but is so smooth on the bike. Effortless power even now. Fisher is still a pretty hard core Racer. Nice guy, although the wacky clothes thing seems a bit odd on someone his age.

The Trek 100 Charity Century is a good place to meet them.

My dream ride now is with Tyler. Although I would be afraid of him crashing us out!

;)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Kent Bostik

I was at a race last year and Kent Bostick was standing next to me. He was having a hard time figuring out how the race number was suppose to be pinned. He looked over at me and I helped him out. He was dressed in full Postal kit and riding a griffen TT bike for a 60+ mile road race which he later one both the cat 1 and masters. I later happened upon him again on a Trek commerative yellow Lance bike in a full skin suit on the parkway. I used to see George Hincapie all the time since we both rode the parkway everyweek in winter but it we were always going ooposite directions. I tried to catch him once but I had decided to try after 5 minutes or so and he passed me about an hour later going back towards Greenville

·
Registered
681 Posts
My uncle and my cousin.

Neither of them are famous perse, Both of them have competed in some of the euro classics and British milk races. My cousin was schoolboy road champ of England and competed in the worlds on the track. You'd never know their names even if I told you but that's fame enough for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Training rides at the Ziggurat?

Hereford Flyer said:
Rode with 1980's olympians Nelson Vails and Steve Hegg a few times - back in 1989 in the evening training rides round the Ziggurat in Laguna Hills, Orange County.

I'm curious: where around the Ziggurat are the training rides? I'm from Los Angeles but I have a client who worked for the INS at that building. She's now charged with shredding asylum applications but that's a different story.

Benjamin

·
All-purpose bike...
80 Posts
Lennard Zinn, George Mount

I went to college with Lennard. He was a very competitive cat 1/national team member back then. I was just a beginning racer, but he was very nice to scruffy under-classmen like me.

During grad school in Berkeley I went on some of the weekend group rides that started out of Sproul Plaza. George Mount, one of only about three US riders who were racing in Europe then, was on one of the rides. Personally, I trace the modern era of US bicycle racing as beginning with George Mount's 6th (?) place finish in the Montreal Olympics -- it seemed as if that made it clear to US cyclists that they could in fact compete. I latched onto George's rear wheel as we went up Tunnel Road so I could overhear his conversation with friends. It was just after the World Championship Road Race where Lemond "chased" down Boyer in the closing kilometer. As I recall George had been in/at the race, and his read was that Boyer was effectively caught and Lemond's move was well-timed and appropriate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts