Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any features that are considered must-haves for Cycling Shorts? I assume some kind of padding in the crotch area. Anything else? I noticed prices seem all over the spectrum. Is there a minimum amount of money I should expect to pay for quality Shorts? I will be purchasing the Shorts at a LBS but would like to have a base of knowledge before I go. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Shorts just like saddles are very personal. What fits one person well will not fit the other. In general though look at the chamois, does it look like it had some thought process put into it or does it look like a chunk of carpet padding put in it (an exaggeration). Also the stitching. Again does it look like a quality pair of shorts. The number of panels that make up the shorts. The increased number of panels means increased range of motion. Usually the more you spend does actually correlate with the quality of the short. You do not need a 200 - 300 dollar pair of Assos to be comfy. Try them on. Also pick the LBS staffs brain on recommendations. Tell them what type and duration you think your rides will be. How ofter you will be riding. Also, personally I like bibs. Have them show you a pain of those. To me and again this is subjective, much more comfortable than shorts and I don't get plumbers butt.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Don't skim... but as said, you don't need to slurge.

performance, nashbar shorts for some are completely fine. I personally like pearls microsensors.

· Registered
125 Posts
Also - as a beginner, I thought the gel pads would make a difference. For me, they don't. A better quality short with a better chamois is a much better way to go. Watch the sales like a hawk and you can get a $100 pair for half as much.

· Registered
53 Posts
i know ive been used to ok shorts and after i year i tried out the better quality ones like perl izumi ultrasensor and attack shorts - what a difference .
before i would complain of being tired and sore down there- - now i just complain about being tired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.