Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am currently doing 40km rides, for which I am only taking one or two water biddons, depending on weather.

However, i am plannign to start doing longer rides. My question is, what food need i take in my jersey pockets for 2hr+ rides?

Thanks all

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Guidelines

fouadaswad said:
i am plannign to start doing longer rides. My question is, what food need i take in my jersey pockets for 2hr+ rides?
It will depend on total distance, total time, the ride itself, and whether you plan a stop. For example, if you do a 100 km ride and take a break at 50-60 km, you could easily eat enough there to fuel the whole ride. 100 km will burn around 1800 calories, depending on your pace, and you could start the ride with a few 100 calories in your stomach and 1500 calories of stored glycogen in your muscles and liver - you don't want to tempt fate and finish the ride with an empty tank. A 600 ml soft drink will give you 250 calories, and some cookies or an energy bar could be another 250, and some salted mixed nuts might be another 100-200. This would be fine for 100 km assuming you weren't starving when you started. So, be thinking in terms of finding 500-750 calories somewhere during a 100 km ride. You could do this with energy drink in your bottles (but you end up with sticky stuff on your frame, etc.) or fig bars, dried fruit, energy bars, or gels in your pockets. As the rides get longer, you need to start to think about getting 20 calories per km (beyond 100 km) as your reserves remain fixed but your incremental energy requirements continue to climb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.