Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm riding a Caad9. Love the bike, but I''d like to get something a little smoother next. I ride with some pretty competitive guys, so the balance between comfort and speed has to be there (I'm also in my early 30's, so I can still handle a decent amount of drop). I'm looking to use this for (double) centuries/gran fondos, high mileage weeks (at least several days in a row of 5-6 hour rides), etc.

Cervelo RS is one of the first frame to come to mind, but I'd love to hear some tips on what else to check out.

We have a pretty good selection of LBS, so I can probably test ride most major brands. I've also been eyeing some of Lynskey's offerings and going the Ti route...

·
Registered
614 Posts
In my opinion I would keep the Caad 9 as it is kick ass!! and head for a comfortable/ set of wheels/tyres also look at saddle and bars/tape :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Most comfortable frame I've ridden that is still fully performance biased is the Look 585. The Origin, not the Optimum (comfort oriented) or the Ultra (extra stiff).

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Dutch77 said:
Currently I'm riding a Caad9. Love the bike, but I''d like to get something a little smoother next. I ride with some pretty competitive guys, so the balance between comfort and speed has to be there (I'm also in my early 30's, so I can still handle a decent amount of drop). I'm looking to use this for (double) centuries/gran fondos, high mileage weeks (at least several days in a row of 5-6 hour rides), etc.

Cervelo RS is one of the first frame to come to mind, but I'd love to hear some tips on what else to check out.

We have a pretty good selection of LBS, so I can probably test ride most major brands. I've also been eyeing some of Lynskey's offerings and going the Ti route...
The Cyfac Gothica is designed exactly for this. Very stable, comfortable, with just enough reactivity, and a century-friendly geometry.

However, it is a small company so it can be hard to test ride one depending on where you live or don't live.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Time VXRS Ulteam. I've seen the 09 models on sale a few places. I'm still amazed at my frame every time I ride. My longest ride so far has been a little over 200 km. The frame is stiff yet super comfortable. I never feel beat up after riding and it accelerates and climbs very very well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dutch77 said:

You should check out the RS. Don't forget about the R3 too. I've had both and the R3 while slightly more aggressive is a comfortable bike for longer rides as well.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Very few high end road bike are NOT designed for that you want in a bike.
So there's really to many options for throwing out names to have a lot of meaning because what generally separates them is their fit to the particular rider.
You're probably best off working with a shop/fitter that you trust to nail a specific geo THEN worry about specific brands and models.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi, Interesting question you bring up. I went from a Cannondale CAAD 3 (that I was on for 9 years) to a Cervelo RS last summer, so I can speak to the frames you are looking at.

I love the Cervelo RS and I think it's pretty much the perfect bike for me. Even if you don't need the added head tube height, I'm sure you can get a size that works for your drop. It does smooth the ride compared to the CAAD3 I was riding. I was expecting the comfort out back with those thin curved stays. What I didn't expect was that it is also much more comfortable in the front as well!

Issues: Honestly, the RS doesn't handle as well as my old Cannondale. The first time I went around a sharp fast bend, I almost went straight off the road. I was used to just leaning the bike and having it turn. The RS doesn't turn nearly as easily. All my 'points' are the same (relative positions of saddle, cranks, bars) so it is something about the angles and the weight distribution.

I have gotten used to the handling, but you really should consider that and test ride with it in mind.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ETWN Stu said:
In my opinion I would keep the Caad 9 as it is kick ass!! and head for a comfortable/ set of wheels/tyres also look at saddle and bars/tape :)
Oh I'm definitely keeping the Caad9 (I'm also building up an older caad5 for crits), but having done 230 mile weekends on it I don't think it's the ultimate long distance runner ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree with Hank, Getting the correct fit is most important and any new high end road frame will provide what you need. Stay away from Crit bikes and frames intended for sprinters.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
natedg200202 said:
Issues: Honestly, the RS doesn't handle as well as my old Cannondale. The first time I went around a sharp fast bend, I almost went straight off the road.
Wow, that's good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Chris Anstey said:
i agree with Hank, Getting the correct fit is most important and any new high end road frame will provide what you need. Stay away from Crit bikes and frames intended for sprinters.
+1 on the Sprint bikes. I own a Felt F1 Sprint and that bike is wicked stiff. The ride is downright jarring at times (and this is from a carbon bike). BTW, isn't the CAAD9 a crit bike?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
terbennett said:
BTW, isn't the CAAD9 a crit bike?
It's ideal for crits, but I find to me it's just a great affordable bike for all around aggressive riding. Very stiff. I did 70 miles on it yesterday and I've done plenty of centuries on it too, I'm just looking for something a little bit smoother for the long (consecutive) rides.

·
Registered
66 Posts
25C tires with lower than usual PSI on the C'dale would be my first choice.

I had a Cannondale 2.8 frame and I could totally change the ride characteristics with a change of tire volume and air pressure.

My Lynskey R330 is the same. It's a stiff frame that can be made to feel jarring with 20 - 23C tires pumped to 120psi, or a comfortable all day cruiser with 25C tires at 95psi.

Unless your'e just "jonesing" for a new bike - which is perfectly cool...I'd first play with tire size and PSI and see what you think.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
armybikerider "gets it".

If Pro Tour riders can go 100+ miles, day after day on their sponsored bikes, you should be able to as well.

Tire pressure and secondarily, tire size, is the key. In my opinion, most riders overinflate their tires.

For what it's worth, I weigh 135lbs. and run my 23mm tires at 85-90psi.

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,383 Posts
T-Doc said:
custom steel.
+1 that's the way I'm going, should have me a steel bike in Nov.

Peace :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts