Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i keep breaking cables on my ultegra SL groupset. They probly break one side every month. Got new gear levers about 6 months ago hasnt helped my local bike shop doesnt know why its happening. I was thinking about buy a set of either Nokon or Gore cables. Can people please give their opinion on what cables i should get???

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Get real shimano cables instead of the QBP cables they are likely using.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I have used Nokons, they are good cables. Pricey, but they look good and shift good as well. If you are breaking cables, sounds like there is an issue besides the cable. I have never broken a calbe in 18 years of riding. So breaking them isn't normal operatoins. I am not sure Nokon would hold up any better if you have an issue causing them to break.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I agree, the problem is not with the cables themselves. To break shift cables with that kind of frequency indicates another problem -- and the result of that problem is broken cables. If that problem is not identified and corrected, cables (regardless of brand/quality) will continue to break.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
parfike said:
So i keep breaking cables on my ultegra SL groupset. They probly break one side every month. Got new gear levers about 6 months ago hasnt helped my local bike shop doesnt know why its happening. I was thinking about buy a set of either Nokon or Gore cables. Can people please give their opinion on what cables i should get???
if you were breaking cables, then got new levers and are still breaking cables, AND your shop can't figure it out...you need to find another shop that can. changing cable brands will do nothing to stop the breakages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts