Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you set your bike's gears when coming to an intersection? Do you set it up with the chain on the largest or smallest chainring? What about on the back?

I realize this might be personal preference but how to you guys normally do this?

·
Registered
330 Posts
largest chainring, and a couple clicks towards an easier gear for faster acceleration from the stop, if I remember to do so or I feel it necessary.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I downshift/upshift just like I drive, such that the optimal gear ratio is in use at any given time. Most of you slouches only know how to drive a car with an autotragic tranny, so you have no clue behind the mechanical magic going on. For those of you who know what I am talking about (you respectable stickshift drivers), you know already.

Surely this was a helpful post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
As I am rolling to a stop I pick a gear that I can comfortably start out in. That will depend on the incline of the road. I prefer to use a gear that I can get moving fairly quickly. Many riders are more leisurely about starting out, using a higher gear which is more difficult to get rolling.

On flat roads I shift to the 50x21. Using the large ring means that I can get up to speed and into a crusing gear with no front shifts. But if I am on a grade I'll use the small ring and a different cog.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
(you respectable stickshift drivers)
Stickshift drivers unite! :)

For me, I usually shift into an easier gear as I come to a stop before I unclip. If it's a stopsign I usually don't unclip, though, just do a stop, balance, wait my turn, then go. Which gear depends on a number of factors, but among them are: which chainring I'm already on (I won't shift the front if I can avoid it), my fatigue level, up/down hill, etc.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
alaris said:
How do you set your bike's gears when coming to an intersection? Do you set it up with the chain on the largest or smallest chainring? What about on the back?

I realize this might be personal preference but how to you guys normally do this?
53x11.

Always.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I shift two down from whatever I'm in... unless I've been hauling a$$ and have a sudden stop... then three... if I can do it in time.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
another wonderfull "how long is a piece of string" question :p
one where you get away and up to speed quickly with as little torque without being bogged down torqing with little actual power output once you start moving again....
its fitness dependant really TBH.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
53 x 21

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
39x something in the middle of the cassette. If I've been going fast it's usually easy to dump big ring to small and down click a couple on the rear whilst braking.

I also start races this way and have found it a great way to get to the front of a crit at the start. Shhh don't tell all those tough guys who are still trying to get their big rings going while I disappear around the corner.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Another philosophical dilemma, another reason to ride a fixed-gear ;-)

But seriously, doing most of my heavy-traffic riding on my fixie commute, I have seen this question fade to almost total insignificance, even when I'm riding the multi-gear bike. It doesn't really matter much at all what gear I stop in. If the gear is a little taller than ideal, you just stand up and grunt for a couple of turns, and you're rolling. Then you can click down a gear or two if you need to.

I like driving a stickshift, too, but I don't think the analogy to sports-car driving is very apt here. Your legs have a much wider rpm range in which they can operate safely and reasonably efficiently, and unlike your car engine they can produce maximum torque (with the aforementioned stand-and-grunt technique) at lower rpms.

So I guess my answer to the original question is "whatever."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts