Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So……….Astana was pretty well set with Levi and Aberto to be the heads of state. Along comes Lance, out of retirement. Let me say first, that I am a supporter of Lance – whatever he wants to do.

I read a while back that Lance would do the Giro and Aberto the TDF. Ah…..where does that put Levi? Now I understand Lance will be in the Giro and probably the TDF.

Clearly Lance is riding for Levi in the Tour of California – but even there I have a question. Would Lance deliberately hold back on the time trial so not to crowd Levi? If so, that takes something away from true racing? I rather think it does.

All in all, how do you think things are internally in Astana? Who will be the GC guy in both the Giro and TDF. Who gets left out?

PS: With the political situation in THAT COUNTRY containing Astana – I would hope someone closer to home would take on the Trek team. It feels very strange being an Astana fan.

·
Registered
459 Posts
rboseley said:
All in all, how do you think things are internally in Astana? Who will be the GC guy in both the Giro and TDF. Who gets left out?
Well here's what Levi has to say “Lance is a great teammate,” Leipheimer said. “He will focus on me winning this race. I hope to be working for him (at the Tour de France), and that would mean he is back to the level he was when winning seven Tours. I would be proud to help him win an eighth Tour — or his first Giro.”

from
http://velonews.com/article/88326

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
CSC had a pretty stacked team last year at the TdF and it seemed to work out well for them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd like to see Lance ride the Veulta, and help Levi win (assuming Alberto doesn't want to race it, but he didn't have his first Tour win, so who knows).

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
husonfirst said:
Why would Levi so readily concede his position on Astana to Lance? Does he think he's incapable of winning the TdF?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, he knows he can't win le Tour. So does the team.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hasn't Lance already alluded to races in 2010? If he plans to do a season, perhaps Levi could be the sole beneficiary of Lance's help then. I don't know if there's any love lost between Lance and Alberto, so Lance may not see him as an eligible contemporary competitor and friend.

But who knows why the heck Lance is back?

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
ProRoad said:
And now Contador announces he wants to do a race with Lance, before the tour...is he feeling left out?
Or perhaps he wants to settle who is top dog before the Tour starts. With him being the top dog, natch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good discussion. Guess no one really knows what is going on “inside”.

But I mentioned in my original post – suppose Lance had been able to win the TT. Would any pro racer intentionally hold back just to let a teammate have the win? I doubt that was the case in the ToC, but what if?

There seems to be something not quite right, if a pro athlete “holds back”. I used to coach soccer, and even in very one-sided matches – I never told my teams to hold back or got go for a goal which was clearly there for the taking. If this meant a 15 to 0 score – so be it.

·
Banned
388 Posts
My feeling on this is that Contador is feeling like he won't have any allies on the Astana backroom team. Clearly Bruyneel is alligning himself with Lance. At this early stage, I believe Contador is going to cut a Maverick type figure at the Tour - bit like Vino and T-Mobile. The only thing I will say, in order to qualify what I just said above, is that there's a hell of cycling yet to be done in the next five months or so....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Let's not forget Kloden either. There are a lot of GC contenders on one bus and not enough grand tours to go around.

Levi peaked for ToC. I think Lance is gaming for the Giro. Bert wants another tour. It will be interesting to see who is their guy for the Veulta.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Im not getting whats wrong with "holding back." Happens in all team sports all the time. If everybody just went flat out and full bore all the time without keeping the overall goal in mind, they would be much of a "team" would they?

·
Train to Nowhere
697 Posts
at solvang, i noticed when lance hit the first climb out of the gate, he was dancing on the pedals. levi was in full aero on the saddle.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
WAZCO said:
Well here's what Levi has to say “Lance is a great teammate,” Leipheimer said. “He will focus on me winning this race. I hope to be working for him (at the Tour de France), and that would mean he is back to the level he was when winning seven Tours. I would be proud to help him win an eighth Tour — or his first Giro.”

from
http://velonews.com/article/88326

As always, a class guy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Lance didn't hold back in the TT, if you watch it you can see that he's going as hard as he can. An all out TT effort is also valuable to his training figures. 14th was just all the better he is right now, no shame in it.

Everybody seems to want some kind of controversy about all these team leader level riders on the squad. I don't think there will be any real issues. Guys will take their opportunities and a strongest rider will emerge and the team will rally around that guy. We will all likely know how it will go in May. If he's not ready to win able to win an 8th Tour then it will be apparent at the Giro.

I personally hope Levi gets a longer leash in one of the GT's. He probably can't win the Tour if everyone is there but I bet he could win the Vuelta.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts