Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
179 Posts
Broken bars or..

Looks like a broken set of bars and he is leaning back trying to ride no-handed only to have something go really wrong, maybe the wheel turned or part of the damage ended up in the spokes? Just my $.02.

·
Registered
25 Posts
stem

that's from a race in australia a while ago. or japan. somewhere where bridgestone anchor rides. anyway, his stem snapped so he held on and rode off to the side so when he crashed he wouldn't take anyone else with him. broke his collarbone i think.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
matteo moller said:
that's from a race in australia a while ago. or japan. somewhere where bridgestone anchor rides. anyway, his stem snapped so he held on and rode off to the side so when he crashed he wouldn't take anyone else with him. broke his collarbone i think.
He should have read the articles Ishy read, he would have known to replace that thing often.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stem?

So the stem clamp snapped at the fork?
If the stem snapped in the middle, it doesn't seem like the wheel would have come off like that. My first thought was that the steerer on the fork broke. He wouldn't have been able to steer, and then the fork would have fallen out when he rolled it.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Herald Sun Tour 2005

bonkmiester said:
This must have been awful. Does anyone have the story behind this pic?
This happened during a high speed descent at the Herald Sun Tour this past October. Steerer tube snapped. Here's a link to the Cycling News article.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ishmael decides to take the advice of fellow RBR forum readers and not replace his stem this year---with disasterous results. ;)

·
off the back
15,317 Posts
i was gonna say it looked more like the fork steerer, cause in the second pick, the bike is reversed, back tire in the front, and the front fork seems to be completely separate from the rest of the frame. .

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
il sogno said:
This happened during a high speed descent at the Herald Sun Tour this past October. Steerer tube snapped. Here's a link to the Cycling News article.
It's amazing that he had the skill and quick reactions to get out of the peleton so as to avoid taking everyone out! Wow.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
From CyclingNews article. "...Shinichi Fukushima of the Bridgestone Anchor team crashing at high speed on the descent between Seville and Wandin, when his steerer tube snapped. The 34 year old Japanese suffered a broken collar bone..."

The steerer tube snapped. In the first pic, the bars are just dangling. In the second pic, the bike has flipped and the fork with the rest of the sterrer has seperated from the head tube. In the post crash pic of the bike, you can see th estem is still intact with the top cap of the headset still in place.

That has got to be one of the scariest ways to crash. Having no control over the bike and just witing to go down. Ouch!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Ishmael decides to take the advice of fellow RBR forum readers and not replace his stem this year---with disasterous results. ;)
Next season he'll be replacing the fork every 1000 miles...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts