Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What happened to all the Save Some Weight threads?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Charlie the Unicorn 
#1 ·
all disappeared

#3 ·
I noticed this too! Perhaps we could have a way to see all the threads just to browse them.

It makes sense to clean out some threads, like "Hot Deals" where the information is no longer valid, but this one has information with a longer shelf life.

#8 ·
As I understand it the goal of a ww is simply to make a lighter bike. Body weight is irrelevant. It's just a hobby much like those that worry about body weight, image, performance metrics of all kinds. On some level I think we are all ww's to some nth degree. All things equal lighter is better IME/O.:) It's just that it takes some experience to realize that if you want to go after performance gains of any significance focusing on bike weight is less important than body weight. This I understand.

#10 ·
It's probably because bikes are already stupid light out of the box these days. A teammate of mine bought an S-Works Amira that was barely 14lbs when built up. My BMC is just under 15lbs with race wheels and SRAM Force (w/pedals, cages, garmin mount, etc.). That's without trying.

My guess is that it's just out of style due to how pointless it is.

#11 ·
Yeah, we've got lightweight down and now we're working on ride quality,
aerodynamics, etc, etc. Lightweight is a given. A presumption. This stuff is old hat.

#12 ·
There is not a single sub-17-lb with pedals bike in the Huge Performance bike shop. Not a single one. The carbon Colnago I asked to see weighed was 19-lb. I don't know what you are talking about.

You can have lightweight if you drop the coin.

If weight is old hat, then aero is just plain money after nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.