Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
He's in 82nd place, 7:20 back.
He'll probably get some TV time once we hit the mountains, but I'm surprised that there's been no mention of him yet given that he won the KOM last year.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Mocat4 said:
He's in 82nd place, 7:20 back.
He'll probably get some TV time once we hit the mountains, but I'm surprised that there's been no mention of him yet given that he won the KOM last year.
well, the KOM commpetition only really starts wednesday so that is hardly surpricing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
He could be riding for Menchov though. Menchov has a shot at Yellow. Rasmussen's only chance is iff the Peleton lets him slip out on a long solo break. Rabbobank is already Dekker and I think Boogerd was in a crash on Sunday. I am not sure they will want Rasmussen going solo if it risks leaving Menchov unprotected.

I do not know if anyone is going to be able to go for big breaks in the mountains this year. At least not in the early mountain stages. It is too tight and there is not a clear leader yet. If you were to get one of those breaks where a group of 6 or 7 riders picks up 15 minutes, there is a chance that one of those riders could hold on to that advantage to Paris. There are a lot of riders in the top 100 who you do not want to risk letting them gain 10 minutes on Wednesdays stage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I remember readin somewhere recently where he said he was after the KOM jersey again. I guess he was just cruising the first week like everyone. If the tour doesnt start to get interesting soon i think i may even go and clean my own bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I doubt that he's riding for Menchov. I mean, he may have been given orders to ride for Menchov, but Rasmussen is well known for being a lone wolf. He usually goes off and does his own thing, regardless of what the team wants.

There was even an interview him and his coach about his lack of team support on OLN. He pretty much came right out and said that he will be going for the polka dot jersey regardless of team instructions during the Tour. He then backtracked and said that he will be a very good support rider for all the other races in the year except for the Tour.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Menchov has a chance of getting on the podium

and possibly winning. Chicken boy is gonna have to work. Menchov will need a strong climbing lieutenant. They may give him a day to get KOM pts but most likely he'll be serving Denis.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
but he has hit the magic number

7 minutes back which is what he had when he went on his KOM quest. This far back and the peloton won't freak if he's in a break. my guess is he'll go for KOM pts on the first HC climb and then help Menchov and finish near the main contenders. Following day with Mtn Top finish he'll go on a big exploit if he's allowed that should put him in the dots.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I think I know why

must be the 'Richard Virenque' method of winning the KOM. Actually I can't really call it the Richard Virenque because although he prefected the technique, he did not invent it. That belongs to someone else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Who cares!

Polka dot, green, and white jerseys are the tour organizers failed way to try to give some hope of recognition to riders who have no chance of obtaining the ultimate prize. I find it difficult to take any interest in these minor distractions. The GC contenders with their stratigies and team efforts are what its all about. Rasmussen, with his lack of discipline and team loyalty can hope for nothing but polka dots. If Dennis has any chance to be in yellow, his manager will have to reign in Rasmussen and explain to him that there's no I in team.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
kingpin said:
Rasmussen, with his lack of discipline and team loyalty can hope for nothing but polka dots.
are you serious? during the season the man lives on a diet of plain rice waffles and soy milk. personally, i think this shows a very high degree of discipline (or insanity).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.