Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
Joined
·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, even though most manners and common courtesy have gone the way of the Dodo.....

"Thank you" still gets out every once in a while for those of us who still hold doors open for wimmenz (and not just when they're smokin' hot) and stuff.

However, "you're welcome" it seems, has been replaced by "yup" or 'yep" or "sure"

I do this myself from time to time, don't really know when I started......

I'm just sayin.....:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,615 Posts
I make a point out of saying it, knowing how so many people seem to notice when it's NOT used. Usually I respond with, "Thank you."
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
i rarely use it. i think it's stupid. it's like saying thanks for thanking me.
 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
I usually hear (and say) "No problem." I've actually been trending the other way recently, saying "You're welcome" more often.

Why do you hate the dodo?

 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
don't get me started.

phone manners, or lack thereof, drive me insane....especially when dialing a business or doctor's office.

No "how may I help you"..."thanks for calling", and heaven forbid you shoudl ask them "how are you today" since the one answering only gave a greeting of "Hank's Garage" or "Dr. Olive's Office" and then went dead.


ok, i gotta stop.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
I try to mix it up a little bit.

A little "You're welcome," sometimes a "You got it," or even the occasional "Any time."


joe
 

·
"El Bwana"
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
I like the Tico's response in Costa Rica: "con mucho gusto".
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
teh moreon said:
don't get me started.

phone manners, or lack thereof, drive me insane....especially when dialing a business or doctor's office.

No "how may I help you"..."thanks for calling", and heaven forbid you shoudl ask them "how are you today" since the one answering only gave a greeting of "Hank's Garage" or "Dr. Olive's Office" and then went dead.


ok, i gotta stop.

I'm all about being polite, believe me. But I really don't like it when people ask me "how's it goin?" or "how are you?" when I know for a fact that they don't give a damn. I don't know why that bothers me, it just does. it seems patronizing, I guess. I prefer much more "You having a good day?" Because if I'm interacting with someone that's a more apt question, I think. More pertinent to the moment, I guess.


joe
 

·
Off the back
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
"...no problem" is worse than yup or sure! I hate when people say that, especially when it's a store clerk or waiter. "No problem" for what, you [email protected]!

Other than "you're welcome," other acceptable (to me) replies:
* Sure, glad to be of service
* Yes, anytime
* I'm happy to help

Oh, and "uh huh" is plain foul. People are so friggin lazy and thoughtless.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
odd.

Just took the youngest spawn to the coffee shop. Nothing like getting the two year old hopped up on a double shot, and half a pound of organic sugar in the giant cookie. Nonetheless, when in line, the fella in front of me I recognized as someone who had asked me a bunch of cycling questions last summer, so I just casually asked him how things were, if he was cycling, etc. The casual banter continued until it was his turn to order and he did, and said he had to go to an accupuncture appt. He said to pick whatever I wanted, it was his treat. I said thanks, but that was alright. I appreciate the thought. He said that he wanted to pay because he hadnt seen me in a while, especially with the family. What in the hell? Ive only met this guy once, and last time I was in lycra.

Anyway. Im thinking he is gone, I get out my money and the girl behind the counter says... yours is paid for. WTF. Anyway. The girl behind the counter knew his name, so I figured he was a regular, so I gave her $5 and said to buy his next coffee, and she said ok, and put it on a gift card and placed it by the counter for the next time he came in. So....

When he left, I didnt say thank you because I didnt think he had paid. Did I do right by paying for HIS next coffee, or was me basically giving his money back some type of insult...
?


ps: dont take a two year old that hasn't taken a nap into a coffee shop. She spilled both her drink, and mine on two distinctly separate incidents. No humans or plates were injured, however.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
funknuggets said:
odd.

Just took the youngest spawn to the coffee shop. Nothing like getting the two year old hopped up on a double shot, and half a pound of organic sugar in the giant cookie. Nonetheless, when in line, the fella in front of me I recognized as someone who had asked me a bunch of cycling questions last summer, so I just casually asked him how things were, if he was cycling, etc. The casual banter continued until it was his turn to order and he did, and said he had to go to an accupuncture appt. He said to pick whatever I wanted, it was his treat. I said thanks, but that was alright. I appreciate the thought. He said that he wanted to pay because he hadnt seen me in a while, especially with the family. What in the hell? Ive only met this guy once, and last time I was in lycra.

Anyway. Im thinking he is gone, I get out my money and the girl behind the counter says... yours is paid for. WTF. Anyway. The girl behind the counter knew his name, so I figured he was a regular, so I gave her $5 and said to buy his next coffee, and she said ok, and put it on a gift card and placed it by the counter for the next time he came in. So....

When he left, I didnt say thank you because I didnt think he had paid. Did I do right by paying for HIS next coffee, or was me basically giving his money back some type of insult...
?


ps: dont take a two year old that hasn't taken a nap into a coffee shop. She spilled both her drink, and mine on two distinctly separate incidents. No humans or plates were injured, however.
I can't wait for you to come down to hickville.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I'm all about being polite, believe me. But I really don't like it when people ask me "how's it goin?" or "how are you?" when I know for a fact that they don't give a damn. I don't know why that bothers me, it just does. it seems patronizing, I guess. I prefer much more "You having a good day?" Because if I'm interacting with someone that's a more apt question, I think. More pertinent to the moment, I guess.


joe
how are you today?
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts

·
hit it
Joined
·
4,006 Posts
I like to reply with, "It was my pleasure. Can I see you nekkid now?"

My failure rate is high, but one of these days...
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
well...

teh moreon said:
I can't wait for you to come down to hickville.
heal your gimp a$$ up and lets go play. I will leave my kid at home.
 

·
still shedding season
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
Lately I've been noticing that "Thank You" has gone the way of the Dodo in situations where I hand someone some money, so I guess I can't help. That never kept me from poasting though.

Funk did the right thing, but personally I hate that whole bit. That pretty much comes from visiting establishments where alkohol is served, because I'm a generally cheap date. Then it's my turn to buy a round and everybody wants mixed drinks. :rolleyes: Yet another reason to rock out on the interwebs instead.
 

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
Joined
·
12,638 Posts
I used to do the no problem thing and then saw a Dear Abby column about it and have used you're welcome since then as it's more appropriate when dealing with patients.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
jaegermeister269 said:
Okay, even though most manners and common courtesy have gone the way of the Dodo.....

"Thank you" still gets out every once in a while for those of us who still hold doors open for wimmenz (and not just when they're smokin' hot) and stuff.

However, "you're welcome" it seems, has been replaced by "yup" or 'yep" or "sure"

I do this myself from time to time, don't really know when I started......

I'm just sayin.....:confused:
The one that gets me that I hear all the time (especially from those 2 bozos on the Ghost hunters show) is "Me and Steve went to the house."
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top