Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlefolk;

I have looked at all the pix here, and all the bikes seem bereft of kick stands. I have had to order one special for my Cadent -- I wudda thought that kick stands would be tossed in as part of the package.

Are kick stands a "Fred" thing? I don't see how one props up a bike without one.

(Yeah, I realize here that there is no NEED to prop up a bike since all bikes here are always moving under their humans...)

Don

· Registered
620 Posts
Campagnolo now has...

...a 12 ounce, carbon fiber kick stand available for $500. Just kidding! Besides being decidedly non-aero, they add weight. Also, I have yet to see a bike that did not fall over, at least once, when propped up with a kick stand...

:D

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.. .I ordered the iridium-titanium kickstand for my bike for $375 -- couldn't justify the C/F extra bucks... but then Im a newbie. It DOES have aero wings on it to keep the rear wheel in closer contact to the pavement. I think that may help.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Not for road bikes

You're right, few bikes come with kickstands these days. Some cruisers, comfort bikes, etc do -- and for a city bike, they are really great!

On a taller, skinnier, faster road bike, though, they are not of much use, and often downright dangerous. You can accidentally deploy it over a bump or with your heel and cause a crash.

I would suspect some of the reason many manufacturers do not include them OEM is to shield them from any potential liability, should the above happen.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Argentius said:
I would suspect some of the reason many manufacturers do not include them OEM is to shield them from any potential liability, should the above happen.
Nah, Cadent guessed right: it's the Fred factor.

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
Laugh all you want. I put a kickstand on my commuter bike and it comes in handy. For the dedicated road bike, I'm generally not away from it long enough to be practical.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Oxtox said:
the only thing a KS does is guarantee that your bike WILL fall over at some point.
That's my vote... If there's no good place to lean the bike (being careful not to lean against the frame), then lay it down in the grass with the drive side up. This means with the chain and derailleurs on top, so left side down.

· Registered
21,863 Posts
Not liability

Argentius said:
Actually, in the quest for low weight, there are few frames on the market that can safely take the clamping force on the chainstays of those old style kickstands.

· Registered
1,897 Posts
If you do use a kickstand, the double leg Pletcsher is the way to go. My son has one on his Gary Fisher town bike and it is very stable.

9,925 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Actually, in the quest for low weight, there are few frames on the market that can safely take the clamping force on the chainstays of those old style kickstands.
^ This.

I've had a few bikes in my stand over the years that showed signs of someone trying to put a kickstand on it at some point. On a road bike, there just isn't enough room most of the time for a kickstand. What's amusing is when someone clamps the KS over their rear derailleur cable then bring it to me because it "mysteriously stopped shifting"...

But yeah... I wouldn't even consider putting a kickstand on a modern road bike.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I was thinking

More of the traditionally mounted kickstands, between the chainstays.

I sell 10 of those, for every 1 clamp-style stand.

Also, I'm sure you're right for lightweight road frames -- heck, even medium weight road frames.

But almost NO bikes on the domestic market, bar a few cruisers and retro-style deals, come with kickstands -- not 26" comfort bikes, comfort-style hybrids, city bikes, etc.

Most of these bikes are equipped with a kickstand plate to mount them.

Why do you think they don't come supplied with kickstands from the factory, then?

Kerry Irons said:

9,925 Posts
Argentius said:
More of the traditionally mounted kickstands, between the chainstays.

I sell 10 of those, for every 1 clamp-style stand.

Also, I'm sure you're right for lightweight road frames -- heck, even medium weight road frames.

But almost NO bikes on the domestic market, bar a few cruisers and retro-style deals, come with kickstands -- not 26" comfort bikes, comfort-style hybrids, city bikes, etc.

Most of these bikes are equipped with a kickstand plate to mount them.

Why do you think they don't come supplied with kickstands from the factory, then?
Because y'all are cheap. :p

Some of your (Raleigh's) bikes come with kickstands. The ones that don't, that *should* have them, get them installed by the store relatively often. All of the Detours, Ventures, and Routes in my shop have kickstands on them. I just consider it the price of selling that sort of bike. Makes it easier to display them too, without taking up space on the Rudy Rack.

Scott Sportsters have rear-mounted kickstand bosses (2-bolt). A smart move, IMO, since the Sportsters have pretty lightweight frames for a performance hybrid.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
What has happened to "kick stands" what's a kickstand?

But Seriously...

My road bikes have never had a kick stand and that has been since 1985...

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
You and...

Pretty well every shop out there.

The only Raleighs that come with kickstands as far as I know are the Circa and Calispell comfort / hybrid bikes... I might be forgetting one.

And, yes, most shops display them just as you do -- ditto with a bottle cage, though MOST places, you have to buy them (usually at 10% off with bike purchase!).

Do the other brands you carry (or, used to sell, as a manager) come in the box with kickstands?

PlatyPius said:
Because y'all are cheap. :p

Some of your (Raleigh's) bikes come with kickstands. The ones that don't, that *should* have them, get them installed by the store relatively often. All of the Detours, Ventures, and Routes in my shop have kickstands on them. I just consider it the price of selling that sort of bike. Makes it easier to display them too, without taking up space on the Rudy Rack.

Scott Sportsters have rear-mounted kickstand bosses (2-bolt). A smart move, IMO, since the Sportsters have pretty lightweight frames for a performance hybrid.

9,925 Posts
Argentius said:
Pretty well every shop out there.

The only Raleighs that come with kickstands as far as I know are the Circa and Calispell comfort / hybrid bikes... I might be forgetting one.

And, yes, most shops display them just as you do -- ditto with a bottle cage, though MOST places, you have to buy them (usually at 10% off with bike purchase!).

Do the other brands you carry (or, used to sell, as a manager) come in the box with kickstands?
No, not that I remember. Cruisers come with them, of course, but I think Fuji only had them on a few models as well. Pretty much everything else I've ever sold was essentially kickstand-proof (Cervelo, Colnago, Basso, Torelli, Litespeed, QR, Guru, De Rosa, etc)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.