Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really feeling for cooking these days. Mostly nothing spectacular, but just really into it.

Baking beer bread now, which is nice because it only wants a half cup of beer, and it's a sin to waste the rest of the bottle.

Yesterday I made a proper bolognese sauce, which involves lots of cooking down of veg, then the meat, then cooking down some milk in it, then white wine, then putting in tomatoes and letting it go for HOURS. So unbelievably good, and enough left over for at least three more meals.

We also made pasta to go with it.

And I've been making bagels pretty regularly too.

So anyway, what are you cooking these days?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Bolognese... drool...

Made wheat bread and a semolina hearth bread I've been working on since Thursday. Good stuff, so much extra flavor with a starter. Best way to sit out the blizzard today.

Lesson learned #1, silicon pot holders aren't as easy to use as a (dry, of course) kitchen towel. Lesson learned #2, 500 degree oven racks are hawt.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pork shoulder, Puerto Rican style. We had the roast for dinner and I pulled the leftovers for tacos. I realize that my food photography looks a little anatomical.

The recipe is from Mark Bittman's excellent cookbook, How To Cook Everything.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Coconut curry chicken <3 <3 <3

I was so desperate for it (being in the culture-desolate state of WV) that I broke down and made it.*

*Note in high school, I won an $18,000 scholarship to Johnson & Wales before they merged their two east coast Carolina schools.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I made some chili yesterday. Improvised a little on the recipe and it came out amazing.

Half a yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
Red pepper- charred on the gas burner, then peel the skin of and dice
.3 lbs bacon
1lb ground beef
1 can diced tomato
1 can red beans in chili gravy
Chili powder, ground red pepper, s&p to taste

Dice the bacon, and brown in saute pan till slightly crispy, throw it in the pot
Saute garlic and onion in the bacon grease, with a little red pepper and chili powder, add to pot with bacon.
Char the red pepper till most of the skin is black, and set aside to cool.
Brown the beef with seasoning, add to pot.
Stir in can of tomatoes and beans, add 1/2 can water
Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 45 mins, add seasoning as desired.
Add diced red peppers after chili has been simmering about 25 min.

I still have about 1 bowl left for dinner tonight.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
sweet and sour pork stir fry for dinner tonight

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Made some penne arrabiata last night, pretty easy quick meal. Potato leek soup is on the menu AGAIN tomorrow night, as we have been getting a ton of leeks in our CSA box.

One of my recent go-to meals has been to brown italian sausage, add onions and garlic, add some chopped greens (kale, chard, escarole) and some chicken stock, simmer and reduce and add some white beans. Serve on or with some toast. A nice simple and pretty tasty meal. Can get a bit salty, so be careful seasoning.

My girlfriend made bagels a couple times and they are really good. She could make them every weekend and I wouldn't get sick of them.

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
White beans w/greens, fettucine w/butter and poppy seeds, and maybe the best ciabatta I've ever made. Good, honest cucina povera.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Right now we are cooking a pork tenderloin, butterflied and pounded 1/4 inch thick. Then stuffed with diced figs and blue cheese, rolled up, tied, cooked for 20 minutes at 450, then glazed with apple jelly and cooked for 6 more minutes.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Turtleherder said:
Right now we are cooking a pork tenderloin, butterflied and pounded 1/4 inch thick. Then stuffed with diced figs and blue cheese, rolled up, tied, cooked for 20 minutes at 450, then glazed with apple jelly and cooked for 6 more minutes.

Back in 5....

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
I just made some lacto-vegetarian pasta carbonara for dinner, it was delicious. I used Morningstar Farms fake bacon, some cream cheese thinned with pasta water for sauce (instead of eggs), and the ubiquitous peas, onions and mushrooms over angel hair... delicious!

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
I been cooking the standard fare. I had ny strip, baked potato, lima beans and a garden salad today.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
This evening, I made ham, brussels sprouts with mustard and lyonnaise potatoes.for dinner. Mrs. S is out with our oldest daughter and it was just our 17 year old daughter and me. The 17 year old does not eat green vegetables, so I was the only one who ate the brussels sprouts (lots are left over). We split a store-bought eclair for dessert.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Let's see here.

Monday was Tomato Basil Chicken Ragu over Angel Hair pasta
Tuesday was Ground Turkey Meatloaf (You can't tell it's turkey)
Wednesday was Pork shoulder in the Crock pot with all kinds of lovely spices to be
served as Carnitas.
Thursday Was Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Breasts on the BBQ
Today was Hickory Smoked on the BBQ and then indirect heat cooked Trip Tip and Beef Ribs.

This is about an average week for me. We have four kids and it can take some serious planning to make sure you don't cook the wrong item in my house. Most nights Fish is out of the question. Only Seafood they will eat I have to have caught and they have to have seen the whole fish to know it is fresh. Other than that the G/F and I go out on Saturday nights for Sushi!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
jorbenweb said:
Pork shoulder, Puerto Rican style. We had the roast for dinner and I pulled the leftovers for tacos. I realize that my food photography looks a little anatomical.
Here's what last weeks BBQ pork shoulder looked like at zmuds.

Halfway there:

Ready to pull:

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
This week...

Grilled KC Strip Steaks
Grilled Thick-Cut Pork Chops
Whole Wheat Fried Chicken Breasts, w/whole wheat gravy (a very rare indulgence)
Grilled Apsaragus
Buckwheat Pancakes
Pumpkin Bread (whole wheat)
Grilled Tangerine & Cilantro Shrimp

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
Sunday is the night I make dinner and the wife does the dishes. Tonight, a skillet chicken dish with white wine, garlic, capers, oil-cured olives, capers and parsley. Green salad. Leftover Israeli salads from a Kosher place we at lunch on Friday (before they closed for Shabbas).

bikeboy - cream in the Bolognese?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Chili cheese dog in a few minutes.

Mom made some more ox tail soup today.

Chicken ratatouille tomorrow maybe.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Girchy Girchy and I made pan-seared steaks with a red wine sauce on Saturday night, along with garlic mashed taters, asparagus and a green salad. These may end up being the most expensive steaks I've ever cooked. The searing generated a bit of smoke, which triggered my smoke alarm. The alarm is part of my security system, and ADT called the fire department before they called me. The truck showed up before we could cancel the call. Police and fire in my neck of the woods charge for unnecessary calls, so, I can add the cost of that to the cost of the rib-eyes. :( Despite all the drama, we miraculously managed not to screw up the meal, although the asparagus was a little overcooked.

We also made pasta with a tomato meat sauce on Sunday and individual peach upside down cakes, courtesy of Alton Brown, for dessert both nights. They were delish and very easy.

Girchy and I made a pact last year that we'd try to eat in more often than not. Some of the highlights have been lamb chops, pot roast, the aforementioned steaks, Girchy's spicy chili, bbq pork chops, vegetable soup (which has since become my go-to weeknight meal), skillet fajitas, and sweet potato fries. I've never been much of a cook and am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts