Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currently rockin a specialized propero, but the thing sits on my head like a massive 'effin mushroom. i got it in large because the medium really only fit adjusted as loose as it can go, and i usually wear a cap when riding beneath my helmet. thinking of switching to a giro maybe, vain i know, but you have to like how your helmet looks. What are you guys wearing? What's a good, close-fitting helmet in the 100 or slightly above range?

·
Registered
267 Posts
i wear a bell furio, i don't think it looks like a mushroom, but IMHO I think all bike helmets look goofy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat. I rock my Giro Xen, with the visor removed on the road, and I must look like a mushroom. I have been considering the Bell Volt, Bell Sweep, and the Giro Atmos. Only way to know for sure how its gonna look on you is to try em on. Hopefully somone will post some pics!

·
Off the back.
64 Posts
Giro Pneumo and Bell Sweep. I have a Limar something-or-other as well. All seem suited for "oval" heads, the Atmos felt really odd on my noggin. Tight fore and aft and loose on the sides.

Still look goofy but not as puffy as some models out there.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Giro Atmos. If I had to pay full price I would have something less expensive. I like it but seems as if the less costly helmets would be just as good for my purposes.

·
So what if I'm a dork!
441 Posts
This is kind of a funny storie but I've owned quit a few helmets in my day. Giro, Bell, Specialized, and I thought all of them looked kind of big with exception to the specialized. I crashed hard with the specialized in a crit over the leading rider that went down due to a tubular tire roll off in the second to last turn. I would have won the race but instead crashed directly on my head and separated my shoulder. The helmet saved my head :mad2: .Anyway my racing days are over (not because of that crash but due to my years catching up with me).
The funny part is that I got a Bell Ukon Sport Helmet. One of the one size fits all for $20 from PB and that helmet fits me perfect. I thought it would be a piece of junk for $20 but it seems as good as any other helmet I've used for the most part. My head size is between the med and large size so normally the med is a bit too small and the large is a bit big. I was very suprised at how happy I am with this helmet because I don't like cheap stuff. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i have a 62cm dome and have experienced the mushroom situation

i recommend the lazer genesis - best fitting helmet for a big dome

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Bell Furio

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Bell Sweep R , three of them actually. I tried the Giro Pnuemo, but it hits me in a funny spot on the top of my forehead. I like the rotory dial design of the GPS system better on the Bell helmets anyway.

brewster

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
alexb618 said:

Good choice.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
alexb618 said:

Good choice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I picked up a Bell Alchera (a Euro model; here is a link: http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/europe/productDetail.asp?prodID=5 ) last year from Performance for less than $50, and like it really well. I looked at the Ghisallo and Sweep R, but thought I got more bang for the buck with the Alchera. I think Performance and Nashbar still have some available in the same price range.

Later,

Jay B.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Met Stradavarius

I've worn Bell and Giro's, from 1974 onwards but after totaling my Giro in London in 2000, I bought a Met Stradavarius. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the States as they don't want to be exposed to US court litigation. Regardless, I have 3 of them, one of which I totaled in 2005. For my head, they fit extremely well and they also perform.

tindrum said:
i'm currently rockin a specialized propero, but the thing sits on my head like a massive 'effin mushroom. i got it in large because the medium really only fit adjusted as loose as it can go, and i usually wear a cap when riding beneath my helmet. thinking of switching to a giro maybe, vain i know, but you have to like how your helmet looks. What are you guys wearing? What's a good, close-fitting helmet in the 100 or slightly above range?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have up until recently been using a Giro Monza in Black, it was getting a bit old (about 3 years) so decided to treat myself to a 2009 Specialized 2D in White, really comfortable fit and looks lovely.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a lower-end Giro model. I think it's a Eclipse or something, not sure if that is made anymore. Just go with what fits best.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts