Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a 1987 3Rensho Super Record Export with Dura-Ace group from that era worth? It has Mavic Open 4 CD Rims and is in good condition. It also says Aerodynamics on it (I don't know if that is a model or what). I have done some looking and they seem to be very well respected frames, but I have no idea about value or reliability of the components. Any help or additional information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Pricing is all over the place but...

As David notes, they're collectable as Konno-san no longer builds and Makino-san has gone off on his own.

The story's is well known and posted at both the Yellow Jersey and Classic Rendezvous sites and they've been available in the States for some time, unlike many Japanese builders. There was even one year when they were carried by Colorado Cyclist.

Pricing is all over the place. I've been tracking them on EBay for the last 10 years and despite a general increase in pricing, there are still a few that get through on the cheap. There are also not that many road bikes/frames versus track/keirin frames.

Here are the last two year's road sales:

1980 Super Record Export- $536 3-07 frame only
1983 Super Record Export- $570 3-07 frame only
1983 Super Record Export Aero- $695 8-07 complete bike
1987 Katana $1,130 1-07 complete bike
1987 Katana $1,200 4-07 complete bike
no yr. Katana $809 4-07 frame only
1986 Katana $392 12-07 frame only
no yr Katana $2,026 9-07 complete bike
no yr Super Record Export- $262 2-07 frame only - listed as Katana but not
no yr Super Record Export- $415 12-07 frame only
1982 Super Record Export- $1,200 1-08 complete bike

I bought my Katana in 2000, a little over $650, complete bike with some DA bits and some other junk as well.

First shot is an "as is" picture as I was in Europe until 2005 so the bike was in my in-laws garage. Those are my own wheels, DA high flange with Arya tub rims.

The remaining shots are after I sorted out some parts, basically making it complete DA except for the stem and pedals.

The differences between models, and there are a number of them, are mainly in the treatment of the fork ends, front and back, some having investment cast bits, the chainstay bridge which is a plate versus a tube in the case of the Katana, the fork crown which can be aero or semi-sloping which is investment cast, seat stays can be traditional butt on the side with plates or fastback and part of the seatpost clamp, generally with a braze on for the FD and generally 126mm rear width. I've seen a couple at 130mm but my guess is these were made by Makino-san after Konno-san could no longer build. Some of the Aero's had the braze on for the DT shifters raised on top of the DT. Most of the tubing is Ishiwata which closed in 1993 and many employees went to Kaisei.

My advice, it it fits and it's in good condition, buy it.

JDNord said:
What is a 1987 3Rensho Super Record Export with Dura-Ace group from that era worth? It has Mavic Open 4 CD Rims and is in good condition. It also says Aerodynamics on it (I don't know if that is a model or what). I have done some looking and they seem to be very well respected frames, but I have no idea about value or reliability of the components. Any help or additional information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thank you for the great replies. I am pretty upset about this actually. It was posted on craigslist on Thursday evening and I replied about an hour later asking for pictures and a phone number. I got nothing back for over a day, so I sent him my phone number asking him to call me as soon as he could so I could take a look at it. He sent me an response last night saying that he would send me pictures in the morning. I waited around all day so that I could jump on it as soon as I heard anything. At 3:30 I got these tiny pictures and no contact information. I responded at about 3:45 asking if I could come take a look at it, and at 4:30 he responded saying it was sold. He was asking $300 obo. Hopefully someone bought it that appreciates it.

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
yeah, a 3rensho for $300 generally will be sold with or without pix very, very quickly as that is a super deal. i have that same bike, though i would really love a 3rensho stem like that. i actually just took mine out for a full weekend of riding. it was looking sad waiting for it's turn to go out, so i pumped up the tires and took it out all weekend. we had a really good time. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.