Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a couple different wheelsets for the same price used and am wondering which is better?
Rolf Vector Comp
or
Bontrager Race Lite
????

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,405 Posts
Better for what purpose ?
1) Better for hilly road races ?
2) Better for Crits ?
3) Better for touring ?
4) Better for training ?
5) Better for riding around with your friends ?
6) Better for being able to withstand crashes ?
7) Better to impress people ?

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
How much?

Greg Nolan said:
I can buy a couple different wheelsets for the same price used and am wondering which is better? Rolf Vector Comp or Bontrager Race Lite?
It may be that some other choice is better yet. How muc do you propose spending on these wheels?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Between these two wheelsets the Bontragers would be the better choice, IMO. Lighter yet likely to hold up better, easier to true. Hubs are probably a wash. Some say the Bontys are flexier but weight and riding style make a difference. Both are semi aero.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Try the Easton (velomax) circuits. Very reasonable, light, and totally bombproof. I'm a 190# CAT 3 and raced em' all season with no problems. Without exception the best wheels and value for your $$ IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What wheels?

Greg Nolan said:
I can buy a couple different wheelsets for the same price used and am wondering which is better?
Rolf Vector Comp
or
Bontrager Race Lite
????
Basically a friend is going to get rid of one bike and put the wheelset on it that I do not want. I am not a real serious rider but I do ride at lunch nearly everyday for about an hour. I am riding a bike path that is not in great shape and does have some pretty rough sections in it. I do not compete and generally just ride a lone for exercise and my own enjoyment and a break in the middle of the day.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
And what do you have on your bike now?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
And what do you have on your bike now?
and are they true? if so how much do you want for them? :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Be cautious about the Race Lites because of the paired spokes design. It makes truing a bit harder and if a spoke happens to break...the whole wheel may break.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Yeah, but he was asking about the Vector Comp vs. Race Lite. The Rolfs have even fewer paired spokes and truing is harder yet. The risk of rim damage is also greater if a spoke breaks. Between the two the Bontys are the better choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts