Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are only some of us here poseurs or are we all poseurs?

I'd like to know how all of you define it.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
Anybody who is slower than you, who has equipment better than you.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far only subjective and relative answers

Come on folks! Dig a little deeper.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mapei Roida said:
Anybody who is slower than you, who has equipment better than you.

What if Hincapie is in town (LA) next weekend and you pass him in GP because he's out doing a very easy recovery ride and you're trying for a personal best?

What if I pass you on your $9,000 bike while climbing up Mulholland from Cahuenga but I'm riding my $10,000 bike? You are immune?

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about everyone here who dosen't or hasn't had an elite pro licence?

I'd bet that would be all of us here.

Perhaps we need table of numbers to define the rules? For example...

Cat. bike $

elite pro: unlimited

1&2: $10,000

3: $6,000

4: $5,000

5: $4,000

not currently licence: $4,000

not currently licence
& never a winner: $3,000

never licenced: $2,000

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
rocco said:
Come on folks! Dig a little deeper.
I am having a problem with the timer on my camera for my self portrait. Maybe I will try a mirror but probably couldn't fit the bike in the picture.

·
Registered
773 Posts
rocco said:
Please define big and slow.

I tend to define " a big mouth" as someone who talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

Slow is relative to the person. Slow for me could be fast for someone else, and vice versa. But if someone can't keep up with the people they're riding with, and that person has been running their mouth constantly, then that is how I define slow.

Like I've heard before: "put up or shut up".

If someone can't put up, then they're posing as either a know-it-all or someone pretending to be fast. I've met prime examples of both at the bike shop I worked at this past summer. One guy seemed to know everything about everything, but never rode his bike. The other guy knew nothing about anything, but ran his mouth and used every excuse in his arsenal everytime he got dropped.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to swipe it from the penny tray...

·
Registered
773 Posts
wow...

nice bike rocco.

Seeing how you're a racer with a nice bike, then I wouldn't necessarily define you as a poser (unless you are a Cat. 5 or 4, in which case you can't buy speed).

Not attacking you. Just my unwarranted, dogmatic opinions...

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wzq622 said:
I tend to define " a big mouth" as someone who talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

Slow is relative to the person. Slow for me could be fast for someone else, and vice versa. But if someone can't keep up with the people they're riding with, and that person has been running their mouth constantly, then that is how I define slow.

Like I've heard before: "put up or shut up".

If someone can't put up, then they're posing as either a know-it-all or someone pretending to be fast. I've met prime examples of both at the bike shop I worked at this past summer. One guy seemed to know everything about everything, but never rode his bike. The other guy knew nothing about anything, but ran his mouth and used every excuse in his arsenal everytime he got dropped.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to swipe it from the penny tray...
I think I wrenched at that same shop about ten years ago.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please at least try to put your bibs on first...

bigbill said:
I am having a problem with the timer on my camera for my self portrait. Maybe I will try a mirror but probably couldn't fit the bike in the picture.

LOL! Same here.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scotty2Hotty said:
For example...

This is probably a Fred but definitely not a poseur... :D Someone should call the spacer cops.

Now there's a colorful bird.

·
Registered
460 Posts
posuer = big fat guy with w $8,000 Serotta Mevici frame set and another $3k in unobtanium liteweight parts with Tour de france yellow jersey. when he gets on bike looks like he performed a colonoscope................................................sorry just brain diarrhea!

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
I dono, there's this guy, he runs around here sometimes, rides one of those carbon bikes, I think it's french, trains on carbon wheels, you know the guy. That moreon is certianlly a poseur. HUmmm, name starts with a R? You know the guy. :p

1 - 20 of 89 Posts